Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )

https://gallopingfree.forumactif.com

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Version FrancaiseVersion Francaise  

Rona's blog

Go down 
+4
maycloud
Azaria
georgie
Rona
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
lula

lula

Rona's blog - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 1:27 pm

Sorry to hear your troubles Rona, can't believe Harka (Rosie) is forward going out hacking, she was always been sooo laid back when I rode her lol, thats what helped to get rid of my terrible nerves, shes as solid as a rock! Although a new home can often change them for a little while, until they have settled in! Also surprised to hear she is lame, I know she was due to see the farrier, her previous owner is quite meticulous about regular farrier visits, no hoof no horse & all that. She is a sensitive soul though, like her previous owner explained to you, she needs to be looked after, quite fine skinned, so maybe that stone you found (hopefully) is the cause, as well as needing to be shod. Maybe you should call her Princess, after Princess & the Pea Very Happy ! Joking apart hope she comes sound soon & you can start enjoying riding!
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 1:39 pm

I-agree lula. A few 'blips' at the start, is quite normal, and should almost be expected. Rolling Eyes
pen
Back to top Go down
lula

lula

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 1:47 pm

I'm very superstitious as well don't change names, will do anything to avoid bad luck lol lol!
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 1:59 pm

I thought for a while that the problem may have been due to the fact that she comes from an area of soft going - at least it was soft round there when we were there and we stayed overnight. It is poles apart from here where it is hard with granite outcrops, which is why I asked the owner more than once if she thought the horse could do the going. I thought maybe she had soft soles from being on deep ground and then had bruised her sole going on the hard round here. I was panicking because as said Galila got a bruised sole which was not diagnosed by anyone (inc the professionals) and she was "off" for months. When I contacted the owner, I think I would have been more reassured if she had shown concern rather than just saying she had never been lame and dismissing me out of hand. It is an unusual horse that has never been lame and it worried me. I am bound to become panicky after all the years of trouble with Galila. I thought my bad luck with just continuing.

She is forward going - but I like and want that. She may easily be different out on her own and quieter out with other horses that she knows; lots of horses are like that, but also this is new territory and probably exciting. I am not worried about forward going, just worried about her lameness and hope and pray it was just that little stone that caused it.

As for being looked after, I promise you my horses are spoilt rotten!
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 2:02 pm

PS I wouldn't DREAM of changing her name! Rosie is just going to be a stable name!
Back to top Go down
lula

lula

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 3:00 am

Hi Rona, I can quite understand your concerns, I'd be the same but I don't think it's because of the ground conditions, you came when we'd had a fair amount of rain, hence why the ground was so soft but the outriding from my friends place is up & down dale, through woodland, hard tracks, lanes, some tracks are quite stoney as we are also on granite. The outriding from my friends is brilliant, it's a shame you didn't have the time to take Rosie out. This last week the ground dried out loads with the sunny & last year it was terribly dry & hard. I can honestly say, hand on heart that Rosie has not been lame since I've known her & I've spoken to her previous owner & she said she's never been lame before either, so it's a bit concerning why she is lame - lets just hope it's the stone you found & as she needs to be shod.

I wasn't trying to imply that you don't look after your horses Rona, they look great by the photos I've seen & by how you told me you look after them. I should have just said that Rosie is a sensitive soul, being fine skined she needs a caring owner like you [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .

I'm soo superstitious I won't even change a stable name lol! , thats what I meant OR wear anything green out riding, my OH thinks I'm crazy jocolor .
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 4:42 am

Golly lula - wearing anything green out riding! I am just wondering about that green gillet I always wore when I was competing at Trec in the UK. Actually I think it brought me luck. Perhaps I am the reverse of you!

May be best to call Harka by that name for a bit - just in case! Certainly don't want to chance my luck, which has been quite bad over the last few years. Then, if all goes well, I can call her Rosie to myself to start with!

Good to know about your going over there - that gives me more confidence. Hopefully it was just that stone; it could be enough. I would like to poltice it but need to get the shoe off first and I don't feel confident to take the shoe off myself. Richard and Angie are coming on Tuesday and we can sort it out hopefully. Also good to know she has been so sound. What a help it is to have someone who knows the horse!
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 5:05 am

It's understandable that, for want of a better word, you were getting your knickers in a bit of a twist rona, after all you've been through. I expect when you called Harka's previous owners all you were looking for was reassurance, and then maybe you felt they were a little dismissive BUT, they were just being honest, what else could they say, imagine how it would have felt if you were in their shoes, Neutral Thank goodness for lula (again) not many of us have the benefit of a third party, who can fill in the gaps for us. Wink
pen Rona's blog - Page 4 470519
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 10:19 am

Yup knickers sure were. Just thought - here we go again..........!! But it looks like that little stone tucked underneath the horn tucked underneath the shoe was the culprit cos she's FINE now!!! Smart new shoes - no bruising found, off we go.

You know it's been such a long time since I started a horse that my bedtime reading is Anthony Crossley "Training the Young Horse; the first two years" (I'll just ignore the fact that Rosie is 17). You can tell it's an old book because all the riders are wearing baggy thigh jods with hacking jackets, jodpher boots without chaps and very probably a yellow jumper underneath. Takes you back don't it?!! I remember when I was at horse boarding school, we were never allowed to hack out without wearing all that and the horse's feet had to be oiled.

Anyway back to Anthony Crossley. He says you should start with lunging - now that's quite a good idea because you can get the horse working supple-y and correctly through the back without heavy us on top, using the side reins. But three months???!!! I somehow don't think I will be doing that, especially as she was leg yielding out on the tracks today! Also I have entered a dressage competition in October (call me stupid) and maybe they won't accept entries on the lunge.

Still half an hour in the school every day plus a small hack out would be fun, with a long fast hack once a week and get me back fit and keep her enjoying it. Rosie has had a full bath and massage today and looks amazing!
Back to top Go down
bonjour

bonjour

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 11:28 am

That's great news that the little stone was the culprit and Rosie's fine now.

Good luck with your work programme and your dressage comp. Very Happy

Bill.
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 11:44 am

Rona's blog - Page 4 470519 , there now.... you see, a little stone is all it takes when you have a little princess teehee really though, I'm pleased that everything is sorted. I'm sure that rosie's previous owners are relieved aswell. Smile I don't think I know that guy who's book you are reading, maybe a bit before my time Wink I don't have anyone who I read in particular, I read EVERYTHING scratch I want to get something of Heather Moffat, bio riding is it?, when I went to UK to do an Intellegent Horsemanship course, it wasn't far from ms. moffats, I had a riding assessment on the course and the instructor said that my position, and core were suitable for her way of riding Shocked (i think it was a complement confused ) anyway, back to you, I also think that 3 months on the lunge is a 'tad' too long, you'll have fun working out your own "fittening programme". Keep us posted. Wink
pen ,( who is really Rona's blog - Page 4 527682 that everything is back on course for you)
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 11:59 am

Well pen you think you read everything and anything but I counted 23 very big hardback books when we moved house recently - titled stuff like "The Less than Perfect Rider", "Ride with your Mind" (that's quite a good one), "Showing for Results", "Behaviour Problems in Horses" and on and on. Yes you guys out there, if you ever want a book on any horsey subject look no further than my library!!! Reckon Anthony Crossley is a bit before my time too!!

I think core is really important. That bit that supports you was once described to me as a tree truck - supporting the whole thing. I am sure your core is perfect. Trouble is, I think sometimes there's too much and some of it a bit contrary. Take Parelli horsemanship - I'm not sure I agree with all that? But think Kelly Marks is ace!!! Did you see that one where they dressed a piebald up in a huge blue tarpaulin and stood on his back waving an enormous flag? And all done with love and care. Did you see how Carl Lester was able to ride round the arena after they won the dressage? The horse was completely calm despite the flags and screaming. THAT's what I think horsemanship is all about. A complete partnership. Oh sorry, got me going there.

Tell us more about Intelligent Horsemanship pen?
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 1:08 pm

cheers oh yes, Ride with your Mind is a favourite, and of course, it makes perfect sense, when I taught I would alway try to instill in my clients the importance of thinking of what you want to do before you do it, Don't get me started, once I get on my soap box there'll be no stopping me Rolling Eyes I will start a thread on 'intellegent horsemanship', I don't want to take over your thread Mad what I will say, is that the horse is the most important thing, that it is a lot of common sense and it is NOTHING like parelli, which, I will not comment on here as I don't want to offend anyone. silent
pen
Back to top Go down
scarlet

scarlet

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 1:19 pm

so glad she's good again. i would just be a little cautious not to do too much lunge work at her age , as it does put quite concentrated stress on the joints . though i wouldlove to see you do the dressage test on the lunge!!!
where and when is your dressage competition - if i'm in france and its not too far away, might have a day out to watch!! would love to do do more with oscar but have no arena and more to the point recently less and less time . i feel so guilty at such a good horse not realising his full potential, but then i look at him in the paddock compeltely happy with thomas , and think - well he doesnt care he's not an olympic prospect!!!
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 1:21 pm

That will be a very interesting topic pen!

Do take your point about lungeing. After all this really is for starting horses and Rosie is well and truly started. She has an inside out neck and tends to flick her head up if she gets impatient which is overdeveloping underneath. I think I had best start the flatwork with gentle bends to the inside and then to the outside, on a big circle, doing a week of so in walk once a day, then beginning the trotwork, all inbetween walking her out on the lanes (perhaps I will throw Anthony Crossley away).

Um... hate to admit it but it is with the Wey Valley Riding Club in Surrey/Sussex. I know the organiser - a truly lovely lady - and I told her last March I would be entering, not realising it would take so long to get my lovely new horse. I have started taking the dobbins back to my home in West Sussex for the winter where I can do over-winter Trec training, orienteering and dressage. Also I am always on my own here in Normandy - in Sussex I have horsey friends and wonderful hacking, in company if I want. But do come and watch! Would love to see you!

I do love to compete - think it's something to do with getting old, not much time left of fitness. But that's just me; if you and your horses are happy that's what matters isn't it? If they have a nice paddock and a nice friend I don't suppose they care about their potential.
Back to top Go down
lula

lula

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 3:50 pm

cheers I am so glad to read that Rosie is fine, phew for both of you!!! Now you can start enjoying her & not worrying!! I think schooling is much better for the older horse compared to lunging, lunging does put allot of stress on the joints. I'm sure you'll build her neck up fine with school work & active hacking, look forward to hearing how your dressage test goes, practice makes perfect!
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 12:47 am

Well actually I must learn not to be too jokey on the forum! I suppose I don't expect to be taken too seriously. That bit about 3 months lunging was of course a joke (along with the bit about entering a dressage class on the lunge)! I have kept old horses for years - would be lost without them - so do know about their problems. Having said that, and I am sure this will open up a debate, I think a lunge once a week for most horses in a reasonably good state of fitness, for a short time, working slowly up from walk to trot and from free walk to side reins, does have a place in the schooling process. It teaches obedience to the voice, helps get the correct outline, and produces the right mindset to prepare for schoolwork. I use the Carl Hester fantastic elastic type side reins, except in my case I use bungees instead of the posh stuff!
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 12:48 am

Oh PS. And, if you can, one should always lunge using two reins so the outside of the horse is supported and balanced. Here endeth the lesson (oh thank God you say) x
Back to top Go down
scarlet

scarlet

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 7:32 am

sorry, i was being jokey re dressage test - had a lovely image of enter at A striaght trot halt at x!!!Shocked
do you have a lorry or do you get someone to take them over for you? do you ferry or chunnel them? i'm also considering a winter in the uk for work and thinking perhaps of taking the gees. just thinking the journey may be a bit much for thomas
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 7:33 am

I can't have been the only one that KNEW you were joking about the lungeing rona Smile pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease don't change the way you post.
Rona's blog - Page 4 481911
Re lungeing, personally I think that there are two ways. The first would be letting a horse, under some form of control, buck and f*** and generally let off steam, before working it. I have worked with horses that I would have lunged 7 days a week, horses that I would not have considered getting on their backs without lungeing them first.
The second way would be lungeing for exercise, boots, side reins the whole kit and kaboodle and as you say two lunge lines.... and there's not many of us that would do that silent
I think that there are a lot of other, worse ways to b***** a horses legs Suspect
Enjoy what your'e doing rona Rona's blog - Page 4 470519
pen
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:27 am

Oh totally agree pen! Absolutely - lunge the buggers before getting on if you have one of those. Especially on a naughty one to get the steam off and be safe. Safety is paramount after all. What use are you to the horse if you hurt yourself and can't look after him?

But I no longer have that problem - thank goodness! Any lungeing now is for schooling purposes, but that said, two reins are all very well, but on a horse that doesn't know how to lunge, there is nothing more difficult managing two lunge reins with a horse that keeps turning in onto you.I think you do need to establish lunge on one rein first before trying two, then once the horse is established in lunge I set up for long reining, do that for a bit and then turn them into a circle. It's all fun and interesting.

Ha ha Scarlett - love the idea of entering at A on the lunge - some hope of a straight entry eh? We take the horses back in our own Pegasus trailer via Brittany Ferries. Not cheap but we are an hour each side of the ports both in France and England and this seems the least stressy way for the horses - but not for me. Last time we went back I got a call at 11 pm that the captain agreed to take us on the early Caen/Portsmouth because of weather conditions. It's actually fine but of course I worry about Herbert who is so old - if you have a horse of less than 29 it's a doddle but expensive. I have tried other ways but the direct one is best for us.
Back to top Go down
scarlet

scarlet

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 3:43 pm

would you mind if i asked how expensive - do they charge for trailer or no. of horses. do they scan the horses before boarding? how often are you allowed to check them ? have you ever done the fast ferry with them? (i know it doesnt run in winter - just wondered). all info gratefully received!
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 1:37 am

No sweat... the answer is LOADSA MONEY!!! Well first of all you can do it much cheaper via the Dover/Calais route but you do have to bear in mind that it's a long way to Calais with a trailer and all those hills slowing you down (you don't notice them in a car). Also there is quite a lot to be paid in tolls as it's autoroute all the way and the fuel costs are high as you're trailing. It all depends on where you want to go in the UK - we are near Midhurst which is not all that far from Portsmouth.

The price I paid last time ONE WAY with one driver was about £580 I think from Portsmouth to Caen - and they charge extra for an extra driver, I just happened to be on my own this time with my husband bringing the car. It was slightly cheaper to come from Caen to Portsmouth - they don't seem to charge extra for the extra driver. BUT we have a very long pick-up to tow the very big trailer, so we are nearly 9.5m overall and they charge by meterage. If you are shorter you will pay less. And you have to travel as FREIGHT, so the charges are pretty much the same if you go August or December.

I am pretty sure the Fastcraft will not take livestock - you can check with Brittany Ferries Freight but I am almost certain.

Okay the upside. Brittany are very good - great big ships which hardly move. The staff are lovely and don't seem to mind my horses peeing alll over the deck as it leaks out of the trailer. Sometimes you get a crowd of people coo-ing over the horses if you are on the vehicle deck and Herbert loves that. You get your meals free and a cabin. They do say you will have to share but honestly I never have and not sure I want to share with a couple of Portuguese heavy smoking lorry drivers who have never bathed (that's absolutely no slur on Portuguese people! Just travelled over with their lorry drivers now and again).

You can check the horses as often as you like, but after you have done it a few times you will realise that you are just waking them up and they may not appreciate that. I load them with a scant scoop of nuts, give them a haynet once we have reached the port, and a sloppy watery feed just before we leave them to sail. When we arrive I offer water straightaway and more hay.

Taking them over is a doddle - you don't need anything except the passport. Bringing them back you need an Export Licence from the DEFRA but that's a doddle too and I can talk you through that. Phew.... anyone still awake?
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 1:38 am

PS and I soak the haynets to get as much water into them as possible x oh and it's the same whether you take one horse or two. If I was only taking one horse and did not need my trailer at the other end, I would send him commercially via horse transporter
Back to top Go down
scarlet

scarlet

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 9:18 am

thankyou ver much for that very comprehensive reply. thats answered all my queries very well. will have a think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Rona's blog
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next