Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )

http://gallopingfree.forumactif.com

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Version FrancaiseVersion Francaise  

Share | 

Rona's blog

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:44 am

It would be great to hear how you're getting on rona bounce hope it's a case of "no news is good news"
pen

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:55 am

Hello pen - yes we are getting on fine. Not long back from hols and starting working on the hillwork. Difficult to sort out how to get a horse that has wrongly developed muscles for schooling and a hacking mindset, to work down and through the back. We have started on that but Rosie ain't too keen! My friend who was a dressage superstar in South Africa is saying careful lunging and riding in not less than 20 metre circles using the old inside leg outside leg thing in time with her stride, but Rosie's not having any of it at the mo. But early days - perhaps that dressage competition can go on hold!

More worried about Galila. Time is running out and we are going back to the UK soonish. I have tried since Feb to find a home for her but with her laminitus problems, a touch of navicular and ossification of her cartilege, she really needs to be companion only with a little bit of riding and of course she is not much of a companion if she has to be strip grazed! Otherwise I would rather put her down than risk a bad home. I am going to post again about her then start looking for posts about euthanasia. Oh dear - this sort of thing is so difficult!
Back to top Go down
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

No, it's not easy....BUT, if you can't find the right home Sad and there is a peace that comes with that final decision

It's still very early days with rosie for goodness sake Rolling Eyes what do they say about Rome Hope we can get out for that ride before you go back, maybe sometime in september??

Glad to see you back Very Happy
pen

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:17 am

Ha ha yes you're right! She's only been in the school twice!! Poor Rosie. I suppose I want instant results - yes I know... Mad But today she lowered her head and bent her neck on a circle in walk and I went into ecstacies and jumped off her and praised her for being so clever. Meanwhile the staff at the riding centre were looking at me as if I was barking........! Embarassed But small starts eh? She is very easy, I have never had a horse like this - long may it last! Love to ride in September - towards the end. Get her a bit fit first.
Back to top Go down
Rona

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:50 am

I'M IN LOVE WITH ROSEEEEE........ DEAR OLD ROSIE MARE..........

Poor Rosie, she hasn't had the best of starts. First of all she had that tiny sharp stone under her shoe, then my other mare Galila double barrelled her one night. This is a mare that doesn't kick!! Vet, antibiotics and bute later, she is fine although she still has a couple of interesting scars which I hope will go with the aid of some tea tree lotion. So I took her out on the horse and rider frightener ride. This is a ride I do with a new horse near the beginning of our friendship and go past things designed to frighten her (and so me) like, washing lines, charging dogs, lorries, bridge over the river, cows, that sort of thing. The only thing she did not want to go over was a stream so we sat there until she was bored and over we went.

Our ride involved some quite steep downhills and I did not think she was over-happy going downhill. I got Andre over and sure enough the saddle she came with was pinching and it would have hurt her quite a bit to go downhill especially with my not lightweight body on top. Just shows what a fantastic temperament she has. A lot of horses I have had would have objected violently to a pinching saddle and I would have sure known about it!

She has a new soft, especially treed and stuffed saddle now and I have given her another week off to get rid of bruising and try and do something about that quite pronounced atrophy behind the withers. Also I am hoping this is why she has been reluctant to come down on the bit. Would have restricted her shoulders and stopped her going in the right outline I would have thought. So was going to start again today.......... but that you seen the WEATHER??? 95 kph gusts during this morning. Ain't going out in that!
Back to top Go down
scarlet

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:09 am

me neither - jam making for me and hoolying round the paddock for the ponies!!!!
Back to top Go down
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:23 am

Smile Good to hear from you rona, I was a little worried there when we hadn't seen you around for a while Hopefully everything will improve now, with the new saddle. I think everyone has teething problems to start with, these things are sent to try us Rolling Eyes It can't be long now till you are off? will you be able to keep us posted when you're back in uk?

pen

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:46 am

Yes off mid next month pen. Really sorry we have not had our ride. Rosie still isn't all that fit - well actually she's not fit at all! We have gone from days off to a couple of days on, then off again. I need to be able to give her some weeks of consecutive steady work and hopefully can start now. Yes love to send news of West Sussex and some pics. Pretty part of the world and some really good tracks over the hills - can be clay or sand but not stony and there's a super long grass gallop. That'll make a change from Suisse Normande! Friends to hack with too although I am so used to being on my own I sometimes prefer it. It's just you and the horse - what better company? How's it going with you all out there? Getting some riding in pen?
Back to top Go down
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:40 am

It will be great if you can keep in touch "across the pond" and it will be nice for you to look back on all your adventures when you come back to France Very Happy

I've been a bit lax over the last couple of weeks, only getting out 3 or 4 times a week BUT I intend to get on with it and find losts of new rides Maybe, next year you could come and stay with rosie and explore our area for a day or two.
pen

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:47 am

Yes Rosie and I would love that (although I might have to bring Herbie too!).

I know lula said Rosie was very quiet - and I am sure she is - but took her out today in her new saddle and it was a little bit like sitting on a time bomb; I was just waiting for an enormous buck! (and she is enormous anyway so that would have been exciting!). [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

She just feels well and happy which is great, but maybe needs a teeny bit more riding!! x
Back to top Go down
Rona

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:32 am

Oh oh oh at last! I have seen what Rosie will be!! She has been fighting the idea of working on the bit since I had her and hated side reins and being "tied down" - albeit very loosely. But today she finally came down on the lunge, relaxed her neck, went soft and round and she looked beautiful! I can see what she will be like and she's quite gorgeous! (okay I am a bit biased).
Back to top Go down
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:57 am

Fantastic rona, hopefully the start of the next chapter in your time together.
What do they say "slowly, slowly, catchy monkey"
pen

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:58 pm

NEWS FROM WEST SUSSEX

Well we are back and the journey went well. The horses travelled incredibly quietly - I think they slept all the way. Harka took a while to load but we got there in the end.

I haven't posted recently because actually I don't have anything good to say. Harka - once Rosie (I have reverted to her old name as lula might be right) has been lame pretty much since we got back. She was fine when we arrived and we starting hacking out - we had one good hack together, and then I went out with my friend and halfway round she was obviously lame. We came home and I haven't hacked her out since and that is 5 weeks ago. I know she was supposed to be the easiest horse ever, but her behaviour has been pretty awful if I'm honest. She has been incredibly aggressive in the field, anxious, hormoney and stupid - charging around and not allowing herself to heal. She has hurt her shoulder and her behaviour has been making it worse.

She is having a course of treatment with a physio which is supposed to involve walking out for so many days, then a bit of trot etc. She doesn't believe in walking for long - she prefers volcano mode. We have a lot of experienced people here in the yard and they have all got involved with many suggestions about how to calm her down. I am using Calmer by Dobson & Horrell now it is making her much easier to handle, but not much easier to ride. It was when she attacked my old Herbert (29) who has been such a friend to her, chased him up the field, caught him and bit him hard, that I totally lost it and screamed at her so loudly the turf practically lifted off the ground. I let my fury out for about 10 mins, telling her exactly what I thought of her, and since then she has been a paragon of virtue in the field, practically crossing her paws and looking at the ground until I decide to catch her.

I really fell for this horse in Normandy - how things can change. I don't trust her and she is frightening me. We are in a vicious circle of marginally lame horse that mustn't be ridden beyond walk and a bit of trot - resulting in freshness causing silly behaviour causing more problems in her shoulders - meaning I can only walk or trot and so it goes on and on. It doesn't help that the farrier has taken her shoes off for two weeks as he did not have her size, because it means the only riding is on fields, which is not safe. Mind you, she's not safe on roads either because when she leaps around and spins, she will go down soon.

I simply cannot believe this is the horse lula rode in the summer - or indeed I rode in the summer. Of course the keep is a problem - she and Herbert are in a very large barn at night, but it's up to 16 hours because of the daylight. I will just keep plugging away at it, tomorrow I will lunge her a little bit (not too much because of the shoulders), ride her in the school a little bit, take her up the lane a little bit and pray she behaves. I don't want to start to dread the riding - we have all been there once or twice, haven't we?

Wonderful Herbert is still wonderful and I am enjoying riding him around the headlands.

How is everybody?
Back to top Go down
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:50 am

Hi rona, Good to hear from you, but sorry to hear that you are having such problems with your mare and you are such a long way away we're not close enough to help.

I've not ridden Tzar for nearly 3 weeks now Sad he has a bruised sole, which as you probably know can take a long time, some days he's as "sound as a pound", but then the next day he's sore, I have the farrier coming this coming wednesday to see if we can get a shoe back on but I'm not going to rush it...... I'm lame after being stomped on by someone elses horse yesterday anyway, so maybe we'll just put our feet up for a while. (Ib's is quite happy having time off) silent

It's very quiet on here at the moment as you can probably tell...shame Crying or Very sad Do pop in from time to time and let us know how you're doing.

pen x

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:15 am

Oh poor darling Harka. She has been diagnosed with damaged tendons on the fores by the physio. The vet is coming tomorrow with his scanning machine. I feel so awful about that last post - if the girly was hurting she would have been naughty - and it's not naughtiness after all, it's nearly always us humans that cause the trouble. They were talking about 3 months box rest but I can't subject a 17 yo to that - I am sure I can manage it another way so she can stay with her friends. I have been a bit teary actually and distressed about the whole thing. I can hardly believe she has done in her tendons - she was only being silly in the field after all, and spooky on rides; we weren't actually do cross country or anything. Anyway tomorrow will tell. People say cut your loses, get another horse, but I can't. If she is bad then it's something I've done and I have the responsibility to try and make her better.

Well with bruised soles they can be bad - they can be easy can't they? I had a vet who kept digging and digging for pus (trying to find Australia I think) and as a result that mare was in her box for far too long. A nice over-boot and chuck out I say (there's a product I found that is like a plastic wrap you can easily put on and turn out - I was looking for ultrasound machines for Harka and saw that - would that help Tzar?). Anyway Pen at this time of year no sweat - build up the fire and put your feet up I say.

All going on here - lots of riding, all quite jolly. I am going to start riding with my friends - they have been so kind, all offered horses, and not worry about H. Keep warm, keep well and keep away from big horsey feet!!! xxx
Back to top Go down
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:27 pm

Poor girlie No , but you can't blame yourself rona, she is just as likely to have done it herself "playing" out in the field Neutral any news today?
I guess treatment wise it's either box rest Shocked or turn her away.

As for bruised soles...there's no point digging, the only treatment is time Rolling Eyes I'll decide in the coming week whether to take of T's shoes and give him a holiday Sad

I'm keeping everything crossed for you, let us know

p x

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:16 pm

You know I wasn't sure about this tendon stuff. There was no heat, no swelling and no pain. So good news! The vet too could not find any tendon injury - he actually thought her tendons were in good shape. She is still lame tho, and we have decided to turn her away for 6 weeks and re-examine. After that we have to start all the tests, nerve blocks, scanning and all that, but with any luck (and she deserves it!) it's just an injury that will heal, or it might be arthritis, but that is not the end of the world.

Well you know, it is the middle of December and it's supposed to be the coldest winter for 100 years, so actually it's quite a good time to turn away. If I were you, I would take off those shoes and call it a day for a few weeks. If it is going to be that cold, you can't (or wouldn't want to) ride anyway and it's better to let right down, and build up again for the Spring? We can turn both ours away and compare notes about recovery rates! Wish you were nearby and we could go to the local pub and talk symptoms and cadge rides off others!

Keep in touch xx
Back to top Go down
scarlet

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:13 am

pity you are in uk , rona. you'd be welcome to keep oscar excercised whilst i'm in uk!! tho after this ams' performance i'm surprised he hasnt at least broken 1 leg - he came galloping up for his breakfast slipped and did the splits with his hind legs. got straight back up and carried on galloping. silly pony. no obvious harm done but i dont know why not!!! it was spectacular.
Back to top Go down
Rona

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:20 am

Oh no! I think that's how Harka hurt herself - and she didn't even entertain us with the splits! They are pretty silly sometimes aren't they?

I am thinking of taking a part share in a horse called Gertie. She is a really straightforward go anywhere hack and will help get my confidence back after these mad mares.
Back to top Go down
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:04 am

You'll still ride your boy won't you? I can ride Ibis, who I do enjoy, BUT he's not my "naughty boy" Wink
The farrier is coming tomorrow so I will discuss it with him, if I take off Tzar's shoes that will be it for 2-3 months, I'm not going to mess about, in that case rona, yes, we could start a fittening programme in the spring Smile
(I really hope it doesn't come to that, I miss riding the boy SO much) Sad

cheers To the thought of a pub during our confinement

pen santa

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:17 am

Yes cheers [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] !!!

Herbie doesn't like going out without a friend any more which is why I normally tow a mare. He just calls all the time and jogs. Also it's a bit hard at the mo. Perhaps I should take him to the pub if you can't come pen? Will be fun (I hope) to start again early Spring - if I am brave enough!!!
Back to top Go down
Rona

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:27 am

What did the farrier say pen?
Back to top Go down
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:13 am

soz, He concurs, but is concerned that an abcess may follow Rolling Eyes Tzar was a little sore with the hoof testers, so he has pared away some sole and I am poulticeing... just in case. He's coming back on the 4th jan to shoe him. Smile I think that unless I must, giving Tzar a "big" holiday willl create more problems ie. his weight. Shocked it doesn't do a lot for me either, knowing I've got to get back on him affraid

pen santa

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:43 am

Yes that's the problem, you have to start again.... again.... again.... Fine if you've got an easy one, but not much fun if you have a sharp 'un. All that steeling yourself to be brave, worrying about a bit of wind, hoping for a quiet dull day (with no pheasants around), a bit of tummy trouble - we've been there haven't we? At least we can turn out during poulticing unlike the box rest of the bad ol days. Hope it goes well - let us know won't you? x
Back to top Go down
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:00 pm

hi rona are you back in france yet?? how's everything with you?

pen

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   

Back to top Go down

Rona's blog
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next