Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )

https://gallopingfree.forumactif.com

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Version FrancaiseVersion Francaise  

Rona's blog

Go down 
+4
maycloud
Azaria
georgie
Rona
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Rona

Rona

Rona's blog - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 2:19 am

Thanks Cally. Took Rosie out yesterday morning before it got hot (and my goodness isn't it hot?). She was very good but I could feel the anglo arab in her - very forward going and lively. She felt fresh. But of course that's what I'm used to with my two arab x here. Herbie is anglo arab and quite mad, but in a nice no malice but no brakes way. Rosie wasn't mad - nice and sane actually, and I felt we could get past scary things without a drama. I need to get some schooling in soon but think we had better wait until it cools down - tomorrow I think?
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 5:36 am

Glad rosie was a good girl for you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 10:17 am

Stories of Rosie

She is a great big girl but a real sweetie. I don't think for a moment she is going to do anything nasty like kick or bite. She is just a big good natured being. I lead her out today from Herbert and she is so easy. When we stopped to cross the road she put her cheek onto his and just stood there watching the cars. She does seem to really like him and follows him around, as well as both of them sharing very nicely in the field shelter. She has got the calmest eye I have seen on a horse for a long time and spends hours gazing over the opposite hillsides looking happy and content. She is a bit livelier under saddle and I am going to spend time showing her the sights quietly - well there's not much hope of being un-quiet round here as the tracks are rock hard! This is the first time in a long time that I have not felt qualms about getting on a horse - Galila was different every time I rode and I was never quite sure what she was going to do. I have spent my life with difficult horses - this one could be quite a revelation! Anyway this blog will get better once we start doing stuff but thought I would record first days and first impressions.
Back to top Go down
scarlet

scarlet

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 12:26 pm

how big is she? i thought she looked about 15h? of course imposs to tell in photos! sounds like a great start. yes the tracks are like concrete here also in places. and as i want to go for a gallop (last one before return to uk for a month Sad ) tomorrow, then i'll have to think wheres best! oscars nearly worn his shoes right out this time. good job farriers coming next week - dont think the'yll last beyond that - and thomas' feet are also very overgrown with the wetter weather.
you always expect the worse from a new horse as you have no idea how they will react to any situation. well i suppose its safer being prepared for multi directional movement than being taken by surprise and dumped!!Rona's blog - Page 3 307787
i dont know about you, but i really dont bounce anymore - i just go splat:***o:
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 1:39 pm

Reckon you two were made for each other Rona's blog - Page 3 470519 Sounds to me, a bit like you're falling in love I love you
pen
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 1:41 pm

I think she's 16.2hh or 16.3hh - welll Herbie's 16hh and he looks pretty small next to her.

Truthfully I haven't had a gallop since I came to France nearly 10 years ago. At first I used to fret and feel depressed and homesick, but now I am used to it because round here we can go for miles and the scenery is spectacular. Last winter I took the horses back to the Uk and I couldn't understand them - they just wanted to charge all over the place; they couldn't understand me, I was happy to walk and look around! But I get more pleasure preparing a horse to compete, doing training, dressage, hacking to get to know the horse rather than just for speed. Perhaps I am getting old!

Yes my three alll badly need the farrier and Richard is coming early August - although his shoes are so well nailed on they never come off. Talking about coming off, I don't do that anymore!! Last time was years ago on Ludshott Common in Hampshire when a mad woman who used to be my neighbour came rushing out from the undergrowth shouting that she was being chased by a man! Well I was in a good big trot on my dressage horse (who is no longer sadly) and he simply wanged round to the right without any notice and off I went over the left shoulder. My friend said "you fell off".... I said "no I meant to do that" meanwhile cursing her. But she was right - there was a man following her! He ran off when he saw me and my big horse!

PS to pen. Yes hope you meet her soon. Will sort some more pics
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 12:34 am

Oh dear oh dear. I do hope everything's going to be alright. Rosie is lame. She arrived last Monday and I walked her out on Wednesday which was fine. On Friday I led her out from Herbert and we did some trot work. I thought Rosie was going uneven but thought she may have gone on a stone - quite possible on these tracks, even though I am very careful and do not trot where it is stony. (I checked with the previous owner more than once to make sure she could do the hard going.) Yesterday trotting in the field she was about 4 10ths lame. I took her to the school and lunged her for a looksee and she is about 5 10ths lame on the left rein. I don't know for sure where it is - it might be in the left shoulder as she is pulling herself through the stride. Today she is noticeably lame in walk. I have contacted the owner but she just says she has "never been lame or had any problem". Gosh I wish I could say that about the horses I have owned, but anyway it doesn't help Rosie. We had a bad night last night but slightly more positive this morning. Please God this is not another non-rideable horse in my fields.
Back to top Go down
scarlet

scarlet

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 12:55 am

oh dear SO sorry to hear it. lets just hope it is something and nothing. you can try (with help!) to firstly: extend each individual joint for about a min then get someone to trot her up and see if worse , then do the same for flexing each joint individually, hold in position and then trot up. that should hopefully help to rule in or rule out a joint problem if no worsening of the lameness immediately after each manipulation - but you've got to be quick in getting her to move off smartly to see the difference!!! . am sure you know all this already , but it can be a usefull thing to do.
really hope its just unfortunate coincidence and just a paddock knock or something.
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 2:11 am

Thanks Scarlett that's very helpful. Has to wait until tomorrow when my french neighbour comes back as my husband is good with some stuff but not with that! I certainly hope she has hurt herself in the paddock but there are no stones there, and post and rail, and I have never yet seen her lie down (also she is too clean to have laid down).
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 3:40 am

Oh bugger rona. I'm sure it'll just be a 'blip' No heat or swelling? 60% of lameness is in the foot, so I would start there, when was she last shod? you say that she's ok on hard going, some would say that that is not necessarily stoney ground,maybe she's bruised her sole? Before doing flexion tests, which are difficult to do on your own or without someone who knows what they are doing (not a slurr on you or your husband I hasten to add Rona's blog - Page 3 470519 ) I would.
Check her foot./ check for heat and swelling, compare limbs.
Walk on hard ground, straight line.
Walk on soft ground, straight line
Trot, same as above
Then move onto a circle.
Walk a circle, hard ground
Walk a circle, soft ground
Trot, same as above.
What is the result.?

If you think it's her shoulder, she will be worse on a 'soft' circle, same rein as the lameness will be worse, spiral her in to you to confirm, the smaller the circle, the worse it will become.

Above all, Don't Panic.

pen x
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 3:59 am

God what would one do without horsey friends? Right will tap feet after lunch to check for tenderness -no heat in feet but doesn't mean she hasn't bruised a sole. Legs seem clean, no bumps or lumps or warmth. She is not showing any signs of pain or discomfort at all except for this lameness.

When I've fixed my husband his deserved Sunday roast, will take her next door to the school and borrow some of their hard ground and do the tests.
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 1:02 pm

Any luck pin pointing the problem rona? any differences on hard/soft, straight or circle? wish you were nearer Smile I'd nip over and take a look Wink
pen
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 2:17 pm

Gosh that's kind pen, I wish you were nearer too! It would be lovely to have a knowledgeable person nearby (and who speaks English!).

I haven't done anything except watch behaviour in the field because I do not have anyone here to help. I find trotting up while do the leading and looking v difficult as you can't really see what is going on where. I can't ask my husband because although he is a tremendous help with carting stuff and all that, he is actually rather nervous around big horses - quite understandable.

My french professional neighbour is away doing a three day endurance class somewhere - she could be anywhere in France - but should be back on Monday am. Unless Rosie gets worse, I thought I would give her tomorrow off just in case it is a minor problem done in the field or something, and then take her up to La Baronnerie on Tuesday morning and do the circle work. If Rosie is still lame I will trot her up for this lady and we can put both our minds onto it.

She is in no discomfort - quite happy - so I feel okay about leaving it for a day or two. If there is any change I will try and sort something out tomorrow morning, even if it means vet time. Cheers x
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 2:36 pm

Quite right, there is no way you can trot up and watch for lameness and do it properly, chances are you'll trip over and then you'd be lame yourself Rolling Eyes
With lameness for the most part the vet would say bute and box rest, then see what happens (if nothing is obvious that is) if theres no swelling, for the most part I think leave them alone for three days then make a decision, as long as she's not 'hoolying' around, odds on she'll come right.
Try not to worry Rona's blog - Page 3 470519
pen
Back to top Go down
cally50
Admin
cally50

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 3:44 pm

If she has bruised a foot then maybe a test with a boot or home made boot would show straight away if the cushioning helps , otherwise after the bit of rain and rising stones etc maybe an abscess ?

good luck with the lovely Rosie
Back to top Go down
https://gallopingfree.forumactif.com
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 12:39 am

I siincerely hope it isn't an abscess - I did have that problem with Galila when she first came. Neither me or the farrier could find evidence of an abscess when she went very lame during a ride. Nothing was obvious, and he did all the usual tests, until it all came out of her coronet. I have heard of that before - sometimes there are no signs except lameness then hey presto! Mind you she was very lame - Rosie is nothing like that.

When you meet Rosie pen you will see that box rest is what she would chose if she was given a choice. She is about the most laid back horse I have ever met and if I didn't turf them out at night, she would spend 24 hours in the field shelter dozing! Good advice though. Will start investigations tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 2:46 am

Right here's my report. I took Rosie up to the riding centre's manege today and put her on the lunge. Now it is quite obvious to me that she has neither done any lunge work before, or even very much work in hand. As soon as you link her up, her character seems to change from laid back to really impatient! Won't stand still; all over the place. Anyway it was highly embarrasing because during my efforts at trying to get her to go on the left rein, there was a group of children around 10 years old having a lesson in lunging at the other end of the manege, and who were having difficulty in keeping from laughing at me and my disobedient horse, while their's was going round perfectly under complete control!

Anyway on the right rein she almost fine - you would have to look hard to see a very slight unevenness. But on the left rein she is still lame, but nothing like as noticeably. I spiralled her in and she did get a bit more uncomfortable. It is difficult to try the same thing on the hard here as there isn't any flat hard - we are all on a slope, even the manege slopes a bit. Anyway she is much better in the field, and I think another couple of days off and have another look. If she's still a bit lame then I think I had better call out a vet for an opinion, but fingers, toes and everything else crossed.

Did you see the cross country yesterday? Wasn't it an absolutely fab location? How about that Greenwich arena, and that half moon framing the city? Quite gorgeous.
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 6:32 am

Naughty girl! not letting you try and help her Rolling Eyes still no 'obvious' heat or swelling anywhere? Whens your farrier due rona?

I didn't see much of the eventing unfortunately Sad but I have watched the show jumping today. really felt sorry for zara Sad , really happy for tina Smile , BUT I am truly ecstatic for mary, cheers cheers cheers she's the BEST!!
pen
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 7:20 am

Hiya - no no obvious heat or swelling - she's actually quite happy on her feet and cantered in from the field yesterday without any problems. Will lead her out from Herbert tomorrow and try a trot up. Farrier first week in August - her shoes do need doing.

Yeah Mary King for queen!!! She is marvellous. Just off to watch the individual jumping now.
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 2:07 am

I THINK I MAY HAVE CRACKED IT!!!! Didn't sleep very well tossing and turning thinking Rosie may have got the same as Galila with deep foot bruising which was impossible for everyone to find, but which made her just a bit "off" for weeks and weeks (ie she would have failed the vet but she was still rideable carefully and slowly). I thought oh s** not again - apparently this type of thing can take up to a year to come out. But today I scrubbed out her feet really carefully with scrubbing brush and sponge, and found something I didn't find before. Tucked underneath a piece of horn (which I had to lever off to find it) which in turn was tucked under the side of her shoe, was a little tiny stone. You really wouldn't think this could cause lameness - she must be the princess and the pea. Anyway I got it out and did a bit of digging to see if there was anything else. All seems clear now and she is much happier! Lost that very slight inward look they get when not all is right - you know! Please please let that be the problem. Farrier coming on Tuesday. We will get that shoe off and have a better look and hopefully.......................Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bonjour

bonjour

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 3:10 am

Fingers crossed for Rosie! Let's hope you've found the trouble and she comes right.

Bill.
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 10:50 am

cheers Well done for finding that rona, and hopefully that will be it, I'm keeping more than just my fingers crossed Wink could you perhaps poultice it, not necessarily for anything other than to help with bruising Smile
pen
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 10:58 am

Thanks pen I am crossing all too. But she is changing character today and becoming more dominant and bossing Herbie around which is good, and may mean she is coming out of trouble and feeling confident although she is still sweet to do.

How is your back? I saw from other posts you had a problem?
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 11:26 am

Is she now??? is she going to develop into a bit of a 'diva' (how exciting)

Thanks for asking, but no, my back is fine (about the only bit of me that is Rolling Eyes ) bill has a slipped disc and cally hurt hers, bills is on the mend I believe, check out his blog Smile and hopefully callys is getting better Smile
pen
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 11:49 am

Oh dear! Backs are the worst! Makes my bad feet and cricked neck and asthma look pretty good. The only cure is alchohol I find - perhaps Bill and Cally could try that?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rona's blog   Rona's blog - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Rona's blog
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next