Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )

https://gallopingfree.forumactif.com

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Version FrancaiseVersion Francaise  

Help with udder problems please

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Rona

Rona

Help with udder problems please Empty
PostSubject: Help with udder problems please   Help with udder problems please EmptyTue May 24, 2011 12:46 am

Hello everyone

My mare has had quite a few insect bites around and on her udder - she has been very itchy there and I can feel the raised bite marks, but recently - over the last two/three days - her udders have become swollen and hot and the area in front of the udders is also swollen - I imagine filled with fluid? I have read that insect bites can cause bacterial infection in a mare's udders. Does anyone have any experience of this? She is eating fine and doesn't show signs of pain when I massage the udders but she is finding walking difficult - I don't know whether this is only due to her foot problems but I suspect she is also favouring her udders. I am using Summer Fly Cream to keep flies away and relieve itching and sooth the area. I don't think it's mastitis because of the absence of pain. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
bobreader

bobreader

PostSubject: Re: Help with udder problems please   Help with udder problems please EmptyTue May 24, 2011 12:57 am

Hi Rona,
In Agrial they have an udder cream thats anticeptic and soothing which they use for the cows I cant remember what its called I will see if I can find a pot here and let you know.
We use it for all manner of bites on the horses.
Bob
Back to top Go down
http://www.bob-reader.webs.com
bonjour

bonjour

PostSubject: Re: Help with udder problems please   Help with udder problems please EmptyTue May 24, 2011 1:27 am

When Bluey had an udder infecion a couple of years ago, she had a swollen area in front of her udder too. She also had some liquid in the teats. Vet advised to use warm compresses on the swelling. I found that disposable nappies soaked in hot water pressed in place as long as possible (real arm-aching stuff!) thoroughly cleaning the udder and gently "milking" out the teats did the trick after a few days.

Bill.
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Help with udder problems please   Help with udder problems please EmptyTue May 24, 2011 1:30 am

Thanks Bob that would be fab. If you let me know the name we can get hold of some. Hope BFG is doing well!

Love Rona x
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Help with udder problems please   Help with udder problems please EmptyTue May 24, 2011 4:09 am

I've been up to see the boss at La Baronnerie - she is a font of knowledge about breeding and mares - and described the symptoms which, I have discovered involves a fair amount of milk coming out of her udders when milked. Karine asked about seasons and I did remember that I haven't seen her obviously in season for a while and also she has been uncharacteristically sweet! She's lost interest in "her" stallion too. Simples... phantom pregnancy apparently! She says I should go and buy that powder which makes into a paste that you put on windows if you want to white them out, and paint it on her teats which will stop the milk. Clever these French n'est pas? Hope she's right - think she is.
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Help with udder problems please   Help with udder problems please EmptyThu May 26, 2011 2:52 pm

Fingers crossed rona Smile just in case you, or maybe someone else may need it udder cream is called Graisse Atraire, a good all -round soothing cream, and an exceptionally good hand cream I have been reliably informed Wink
pen
Back to top Go down
tristar

PostSubject: help with udder probs   Help with udder problems please EmptyFri May 27, 2011 3:04 am

if its a phantom preg and its milk she's producing, don't milk her because the backwards pressure of the milk in a full udder suppresses the further milk production, only if its very uncomfortable draw off a little, pp are hormone governed can you talk to a stud vet who has experience of this, or if its an infection it needs antibiotics maybe
pp 's and milk production can be an ongoing prob not always acknowledged by vets
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Help with udder problems please   Help with udder problems please EmptyMon May 30, 2011 7:26 am

Thanks for the info Azaria. Re milk. Have not milked her because I did hear it can encourage more milk to be produced. On Thursday she was extremely uncomfortable lifting one back leg after another and she was in a very bad mood and uncomfortable over her whole body - didn't want to be petted. She is much better in the udder now and the swollen milk gland has gone down so I think she must have stopped production. She's certainly happier. I am sure she didn't have an infection because there was no udder pain or smell from the milk (and I would know if she was carrying an infection I think).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with udder problems please   Help with udder problems please Empty

Back to top Go down

Help with udder problems please
Page 1 of 1