Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )

https://gallopingfree.forumactif.com

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Version FrancaiseVersion Francaise  

Lump !!! Advice please.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Lump !!! Advice please. Empty
PostSubject: Lump !!! Advice please.   Lump !!! Advice please. EmptyThu May 26, 2011 4:58 pm

Colombe has developed a large lump, it has appeared this afternoon.
It is about 6inches long by 4 inches wide. It is on her belly, it has no heat, is quite firm and does not seem to be causing her any pain. She is eating and pooing ok, and seem's fine in her self. Vet shrugged when he came ( what a carry on that was, another story for a nother post lol ) he is calling tomorrow morning to see if anything has developed.
Ive been thinking all sort's, I have just about ruled out a hernia ( I think), then I thought abcess, now Im wondering if she has been stung-bittern by something and has reacted to it. If any one has any thought's please post. Very worried mum, who carnt sleep. What a Face
Back to top Go down
bonjour

bonjour

PostSubject: Re: Lump !!! Advice please.   Lump !!! Advice please. EmptyFri May 27, 2011 1:04 am

Hi Bagpuss,

Sounds like it might be odoema, a collection of fluid, which can be down to a number of things. That may be why your vet shrugged, as he may not have found anything obvious. You know your horse better than anyone else so check her over very thoroughly, all over. The odoema, if that's what it is, might be distant from the cause. It might be related to an udder infection, for instance or it could just be swelling from an injury at that point.

Probably not much help but it's something to ask your vet about when he returns.

Bill.
Back to top Go down
tristar

PostSubject: lump!!! advice please   Lump !!! Advice please. EmptyFri May 27, 2011 2:51 am

hello bagpuss,

it could well be a bite or fly irritation, i would try washing it with salty water or water with antiseptic, to start three times the first day, then morning and evening, dry gently and put antifly stuff around the area,on the oedema itself put some antiseptic cream like savlon, you'll soon know if its working and will be able to decide if its a bite or sting or something else that needs looking into
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Lump !!! Advice please.   Lump !!! Advice please. EmptyFri May 27, 2011 4:42 am

I hope by now your vet has re-visited and been able to put your mind at rest Smile without seeing it, I think I would plump for the insect bite, it's a funny year for bugs with all this dry weather were having Mad . I think you may have seen an oedeama develop. I'm sure it's nothing to serious [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] let us know how you get on.
pen
Back to top Go down
Bagpuss

Bagpuss

PostSubject: Re: Lump !!! Advice please.   Lump !!! Advice please. EmptyFri May 27, 2011 3:02 pm

Hi Folks
Thanks for your replys, the vet arrived and after a very thorough examination found what we believe to be a snake bite. Colombe has been such a good girl, she has had a cortison (sorry for spelling) injection, and the site of the bite has had a good clean, and iodine wash. I have some wash for the next couple of days, and some antiseptic type cream, to use twice a day, and the vet will call again on monday unless I call him in.
The only thing I can presume is she was either getting down for a rest or getting back up, as she is 16-2, so that would have to be one ell of a snake to get her near her belly button ( new horsy turm lol). She is out tonight, but I will bring her in tomorow for the day as it was 92 affraid at 11.30 today. She is ok in herself, but I dont want to take any risks as there are loads of flies and bitty things about.
Thanks again Sue.
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Lump !!! Advice please.   Lump !!! Advice please. EmptyMon May 30, 2011 7:38 am

Pleased your vet was helpful on the second visit. I must admit I have been given some strange advice by french vets and "experts". COPD symptoms = Vicks Vapour Rub up the nose to clear the lungs (well it worked actually). Skin infection caused by microbes in the blood = Vaseline. Yes well had to have that one diagnosed and treated in the UK. Poorly horse = asprin. Crickey! How many? But a funny one came from my vet in the UK when Herbert developed a large lump on his chest (talking about lumps). He charged me over £50 to tell me it was benign, it should go down and if I was worried I should hit it hard with a book. Yes well - I'll think I'll stick to common sense unless it gets very dire. (The lump did go down on its own.) By the way for insect bites - especially to areas like the eye - a warm teabag makes a very good poltice!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lump !!! Advice please.   Lump !!! Advice please. Empty

Back to top Go down

Lump !!! Advice please.
Page 1 of 1