Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )

https://gallopingfree.forumactif.com

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Version FrancaiseVersion Francaise  

Lice??????

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
rowan21

rowan21

Lice?????? Empty
PostSubject: Lice??????   Lice?????? EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 10:16 am

One of my Spanish Mustangs has lice, at least... I suspect that is what it is.
This is one of the mares I have just moved onto a new paddock (hill) away from her baby (weaning)
The stallion didnt appear to have a problem but having looked at his
face today I notice he too has rubbed on side and hair has come off (not
sore though) The new forest is difficult to tell because she always
looks a bit like one of the apes in Panet of the Apes when she starts to
shed.
I have noticed this particular Mare was rubbing on the Dead Gorse bush
last week when it was very very hot (15c 60f) and they were all
sweating.
I wormed them with Ivermectin just over a week ago (before weaning)
I must admit, I havent seen any lice on her, but she has a lot of dandruff?

She has bare patches on her chest, face(near muzzle and up the bridge of
her nose) also just in front of her hips and on the lower front legs.
Any ideas and shouldnt the Ivermectin have helped had they had lice and
if they just picked them up (deer run through the hill they are on and
it hasnt been grazed since august)
???????
Its still too cold to wash them (that hot spell was for one day!)
Back to top Go down
cally50
Admin
cally50

Lice?????? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice??????   Lice?????? EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 11:48 am

A friend once brought some " Gold Label louse powder " for me , excellent stuff , they had disappeared overnight , natural too and not expensive
Back to top Go down
rowan21

rowan21

Lice?????? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice??????   Lice?????? EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 11:55 am

thankyou will investigate it Wink cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
cally50
Admin
cally50

Lice?????? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice??????   Lice?????? EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 12:25 pm

found this info as I wandered if they are lice before you shell out ;

The blood-sucking louse is mainly found under the forelock, mane, tail and fetlocks
However, in heavy infestations it may be found over the entire body, which can result in anaemia
The biting louse lives on skin debris and is common on the backline, neck, head and flanks
Lice result in rubbing, thinning of hair on the face and neck, and self mutilation of the skin in severe infestations
Heavy infestations are easily visible under the mane or in the coat
Light infestations can be hard to find – examine under forelock and look for grayish lice eggs
Quickly lift up forelock or mane as lice rapidly move away from an exposed area.
Back to top Go down
rowan21

rowan21

Lice?????? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice??????   Lice?????? EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 4:36 am

Did a complete and thorough check this morning. no lice!!!!!!!!!!! so I guess as it hasnt got any worse and her hair is coming out in HANDFULLS its midges, bare branches and temperature change..... they are so hairy they must be boiling LOL
Bless.
They could do with a bit more weight on their bones but they are ok, spring grass is coming through at last and they still have hay all day albeit not very nice hay...... they are munching through it!
The New Forest's udder is going down nicely...... she could have fed about 5 foals with the amount of milk she had, no wonder Arragon is such a little Porker!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
salee

salee

Lice?????? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice??????   Lice?????? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 7:16 am

i thought this might come in handy, my Nana was an old time childrens nurse back in the early 1900's and this is from her, she used it on nitty kids.

An old bug killing receipe, works on horses, dogs & humans, in fact almost anything.

lice, fleas and most crawlie bugs breath air & have legs, most lay eggs which are sticky, to deal with most you need to kill both adults and either kill or remove the eggs right?

step 1 - thoughly damp the hair and skin in vinegar, if too strong for the more sensitive skin dilute it, the vinegar burns the adult bugs & the eggs, often killing them it also dissolves the 'glue' used to stick on eggs, it also makes the hair shaft close up and so be harder to stick to.
be carefull, vinegar will burn sensitive skin, especially on the face, eyes & 'personal areas'.

step 2 - DO NOT RINSE but thoughly coat the hair and skin in any vegetable based oil, olive, almond, chip pan leftovers it does not matter! & work it well in, the oil cloggs the breathing apparatus of the bugs, in effect drowning them, it also makes combing out the bugs and eggs easier.

step 3 - after a min of 5 min pref longer apply a strong mixture of shampoo in water, work this well in to emulsify the oil & dead crawlies mush, No

step 4- wash well, it might take more than 1 wash,

by now you should have beautifully conditioned hair with few if any bugs, the beauty of this method is it can be repeated over and over as often as needed with no build up of chemicals & there is no way the bugs can get resistant to it either.

sorry if i am making every one itchy .. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
bye [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lice?????? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice??????   Lice?????? Empty

Back to top Go down

Lice??????
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED ) :: Horsey Chat :: Tips + Useful info or Need Advice ?-
Jump to: