Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )

https://gallopingfree.forumactif.com

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Version FrancaiseVersion Francaise  

Bute advice please!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rona

Rona

Bute advice please! Empty
PostSubject: Bute advice please!   Bute advice please! EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 9:46 am

My mare Galila has been diagnosed with huge problems in her feet as you know from other posts. The vet suggested bute and indeed she should really be on two a day because she's in pain at the moment - at least until this current episode dies down and the farrier can stablise her. Trouble is they would only give me 12 sachets and that's not going to last long. Also I want to put her into foal and can't give bute then (even if I could get it). Has anyone any knowledge of a substitute that works? Of course there's No-Bute and Buteless etc. I haven't found them all that good in the case of bad pain and inflammation. Any help please? I can't bear to see a horse in pain. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Horseybird

Horseybird

PostSubject: Re: Bute advice please!   Bute advice please! EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 9:57 am

I have used nobute, not sure how safe it is. That is a heavy dose of bute, you usually start high, and get it down to half a day or one every other day. Two schools of thought. Don't put your mare in foal if she has long standing foot problems as she will be heavy for a long time and it will be painful for her. If it is a temporary problem then she will be getting heavy in the last 4 months. So plan for the foal to be born in May, so she will be at her heaviest when the ground will be better.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pintalusian.com
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Bute advice please!   Bute advice please! EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 1:50 pm

I've heard good things about Vetrofen, but havn't used it, loads of info if you google it.
pen
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Bute advice please!   Bute advice please! EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 1:52 am

I've rung up my normal supplier in UK and they think Buteless is a bit better than No-Bute (it's more expensive certainly) but I have tried both. She is in trouble at the moment because she has a slight rotation of the pedal bone and because she has ossification of her foot cartilege. Richard Mott came and did some fairly severe trimming (which is a lot less than a resection that the vet suggested - a bit drastic!). She is pretty uncomfortable after this and I want to ease the path. Richard's coming back at the end of the month to fix remedial shoes. She will be uncomfortable after that too and he wants her as pain-free as possible for the procedure. Hence the need for pain relief at the mo. She's down to 1 1/2 sachets a day and will be on 1 sachet tomorrow increasing for Richard's visit and just after. The vet says not a problem to breed but be very careful of her weight as you say Horseybird. I though of birthing in April because we have very good draining ground over-winter.

Thanks v much for all this help you are giving - thank goodness for the forum!
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Bute advice please!   Bute advice please! EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 5:02 am

Miraculous recovery of mare. I know Spring is here at the moment but thought I would have a nice hack on my old boy yesterday and damn it! Couldn't catch either of them. Bad ponies. Galloping round and round the field snorting and bucking for about 20 mins. Got him in the end. Anyway I reckon if that mare had been on benefits she would be jailed by now. Taken her off everything except joint aid stuff. Thanks for your help.
Back to top Go down
sljonesDS

sljonesDS

PostSubject: Re: Bute advice please!   Bute advice please! EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 9:20 am

vetrofen, its very very good! A bit expensive but good for long term!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sarahsoaps.co.uk
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Bute advice please!   Bute advice please! EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 12:18 pm

cheers that's great rona, she must be feeling G-O-O-D, little madam, long may it continue [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
pen
Back to top Go down
Rona

Rona

PostSubject: Re: Bute advice please!   Bute advice please! EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 1:47 am

Well she's "going the right way" as they say after two Richard Mott visits recently. There has been a problem on the very hard rutty ground recently with the cold snap that it hurts to walk on the ruts as she has ossified cartilege in the feet so it's a bit ow.. ow.. ow.. as she walks out to the field. But off medication at least. Got some Buteless from the UK but like the sound of Vetrofen - is it French?
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Bute advice please!   Bute advice please! EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 2:01 pm

I don't think it's french rona, if you google it on uk google it comes up where you can order on-line, I believe the main ingredient is devils claw, which is wonderful stuff Smile
pen
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bute advice please!   Bute advice please! Empty

Back to top Go down

Bute advice please!
Page 1 of 1