Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )

https://gallopingfree.forumactif.com

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Version FrancaiseVersion Francaise  

What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
cally50
Admin
cally50

What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet Empty
PostSubject: What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet   What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 3:25 pm

Not so easy this one , contact with the owners is difficult and poor Jann is in the front line trying to find a solution , scratching my head one of two things seem to be the right thing to do either raise funds to get their feet done with ok from owners or try to persuade them to rehome them . The younger one is entire and the old girl is now badly lame

What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet Donkey10

What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet Donkey11
Back to top Go down
morseamy

morseamy

PostSubject: Re: What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet   What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 3:38 am

Hi,
Are owners difficult to contact because they are not there? If so could you get someone from SPAN to go round, and do something, or send a farrier round yourself to do their feet. Where abouts are they??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet   What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 5:45 am

It's complicated, the owner is in her eighties, the donkeys are in her field
that she lets out to a farmer, the deal is that he looks after the donkeys in exchange for
the fields so in my opinion it'd be best to get them out of there as when the
old lady dies they'll be at the mercy of the farmer, I've offered to buy them both
I can't afford them and have the room for them, but I always have jumped before I
think so either we start up a collect to help them, or see if someone can take them on
I have to phone the old woman again, last time she wasn't very nice on the phone
Back to top Go down
salee

salee

PostSubject: Re: What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet   What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 6:51 am

in my experience the french don't like to be embarrassed about neglecting their animals, they seem to prefere to send them off to the butcher as an easy - brush it under the carpet - way out.
i would suggest taking the pics to show her, she is afterall 'paying' the farmer by use of the field to care for them and so is being ripped off.

if you were to suggest she sells you the donkeys, & you promise not to talk about them or her she may be more inclined to go for it, just my opinion but????????

surely between us all we can shove a couple of donks in somewhere? even if just temp? i am too far away & i have no land (+ a few other problems) but if i make the move north before they get sorted put me down as a last resort for a home.
bye What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet 35522
Back to top Go down
morseamy

morseamy

PostSubject: Re: What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet   What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 6:52 am

Hi Jan,
Getting them out sounds the best option. If it helps, I would have the room for them, but no money to keep them long term, but at least they would have somewhere to go.
Would the old lady be prepared to just let them be rehomed without you/someone having
to buy them? Other option is get hold of the farmer as he is supposed to be looking after them and tell him that he could be reported for animal cruelty if the feet are not seen to.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet   What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 10:44 am

phoned her just before, she says "name your price and they are yours"
of course the old girl is now 16 and not over 20 any more
devious old c**
she says that they are worth 250 euros as babies, don't know what to do
she's agreed to me sorting the farrier out but that's only a short term
solution, they'll be out in the snow all winter again, no shelter or rug or hay
Back to top Go down
morseamy

morseamy

PostSubject: Re: What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet   What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 1:56 pm

Just tell her that if she doesnt just let you take them, then you will
report her for animal cruelty.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet   What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 6:44 am

pale still the same, nothing changed
Back to top Go down
cally50
Admin
cally50

PostSubject: Re: What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet   What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 7:08 am

Do you want me to come with you to see the lady Jann ? inbetween trying to save an injured buzzard and the rest of the menagerie Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet   What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 11:42 am

Just gave them a carrot and a cuddle Sad Sad Sad
Charlotte has huge brown eyes, it's so very sad for them
Back to top Go down
cally50
Admin
cally50

PostSubject: Re: What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet   What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 12:53 pm

We'll get to grips wih these soon Jann , I'm very very busy on diggers for a few days so will hopefully catch up asap xx
Back to top Go down
homeishe

PostSubject: what to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet   What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 8:23 am

Horrible story.  Immediate suggestions to try to help :
Try
speaking to the Maire and demand actiion, say you are also speaking to SPA., re. animal cruelty he/she should take action in your particular commune and put pressure on person responsible. (Our Maire had a responsible farmer take some cows and horses away from a woman who was neglecting them simply because her husband was very ill and she could not cope)
And/or try your Vet and persuade him to visit and put pressure on "old lady" or advise action
Speak to Phoenix Association - large wonderful Animal charity. Their helpline on 05 53 31 23 61 - loads of information and advice available on dealing with such cases.
Try Epona Trust - they never turn away a needy horse or donkey. They are on   Telephone 02 33 61 88 41 and highly experienced in dealing with stories of neglect and finding solutions!.  email is info@eponatrust.org.  Their address is
La Couverie, La Lucerne D'Outremere, 50320 France. Hopefully your area ?
Call out Farrier to carry out foot treatment
In emergency, we have sheep and could find space for donkeys (Calvados 14) 02 31 48 60 16
Try anything, you deserve to succeed. Best of luck

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet   What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 4:32 am

Just phoned the old 'dear'
I've offered 300 for the two as July and her friend
on the French galloping free are donating 300 for them
she says that she'll think about it and will see her children
about it Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
salee

salee

PostSubject: Re: What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet   What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 4:29 am

hold the old bats broomstick to ransome.....she will need it for halloween Twisted Evil

seriously though good luck with the buy out of the donks, fingers crossed.

such a pity donkey rustling is a crime scratch or the problem could be solved so easy, bye What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet 35522
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet   What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 2:11 am

lol! salee

still waiting for scrooge to make up her mind What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet Scroog10
Back to top Go down
salee

salee

PostSubject: Re: What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet   What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 4:50 am

i put another post on this but it has 'disapeared' scratch scratch scratch
if it has popped up somewhere else & you find it wandering send it home please?

so to repeat...

i suggested waving cash money at the old....owner, as the lure of real folding, none declared filthy cash is irrisistable to most greedy so n so's ( like a tom cruise character once said...show me the money) Twisted Evil

remember to get a reciept..better still write 2 yourself 1 for her & 1 for you so all she has to do is scribble her signature, make it easy & she may go for it.

i also suggested telling the dear old lady (not) that you needed an answer quick because you wanted the donks for a pressy or some such & if she won't sell you hers you will buy elsewhere, mentioning there are several donks in good condition and younger than her 2 are on adverts in Le bon coin etc (quite true, take a look), thus adding in a make-your-mind up or lose it bit of pressure, leave her a contact number or something so she can accept it later if she chooses to,

if she does not agree, leave it alone, walk away, make her think she has blown it, DON'T get in touch etc for say 2 weeks and let her stew.

many but not all french think we brits are simple soft headed twits they can sell any old thing to if it is sad enough, don't let her get the satisfaction.

good luck donkey snaffling, bye What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet 35522
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet   What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 8:33 am

Still no news, they get a carrot every evening so
it's hard waiting, if no news by the end of the week I'll
go and see her, Crying or Very sad
Donkey snaffling? has crossed my mind salee
fingers crossed for a positive outcome!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet   What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 7:28 am

Good news she said yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet 722859 What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet 871831 What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet 847687
Back to top Go down
salee

salee

PostSubject: Re: What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet   What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 2:06 pm

great! cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

maybe someone dropped a happy pill in her cauldron on halloween night. bounce

grab 'em quick before it wears off. scratch bye What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet 35522 What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet 35522
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet   What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 2:16 pm

cheers Great news jann cheers Well Done You. cheers
pen x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet   What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 12:16 pm

Managed to get the head collar on Charlotte tonight
she was soo scared, it was sporty, Alex (xho's name will have to change
as it's my daughter's ex boyfriend's name) won't let me near him, quite nippy for a donkey with such bad feet so the farrier is coming in the morning for Charlotte and hopefully 'Donkey'
photos of course What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet 722859
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet   What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 5:21 am

Charlotte's done, she was very scared but after 5 kilos of carrots
in teeny weeny pieces she's ok, he says that she's over 20, her tendons are terrible, very hard, and she could be in foal Sad
on the last photo the right one is the finished foot
What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet Dscn4818
What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet Dscn4819
What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet Dscn4820
What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet Dscn4821
Back to top Go down
homeishe

PostSubject: what to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet   What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 12:23 pm

What a great ending to a loooooooooong-drawn-out-stressy-story !   Really well done to you for such patience and perseverance.  AND not only a happy update but wonderful photographs as well of the donks' makeover.  How smart they look, though sadly I expect the farrier wasn't terribly surprised at the state of their feet.  Why does anyone have or want to hold on to any animal that they don't want or simply can't look after: it's quite beyond me.  Did laugh at your estimate of the amount of carrot bribes it took to get a result! Reminds me of my woolly women who this year, in spite of searing temperatures, decided that they didn't want to cooperate over being sheared.  Actually took 3 cancellations of the sheep shearer's appointment and hours of coaxing and pleading and treats before we won and eventually managed to corner the spoilt brats in the sheepshed. It was only when I was off the medication that I could fully appreciate their loveliness  !!!!!! Congratulations again. What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet 481911 
Back to top Go down
cally50
Admin
cally50

PostSubject: Re: What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet   What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 4:17 pm

Just blooming brilliant Jann cheers WELL DONE !!
amazed he has got the feet that far already , well done that farrier !
Did she have any abscesses where she was very lame ?

sorry haven't been online much lately , sooo much going on trying to put up new building before winter sets in plus loads of other stuff , very tired Sleep Sleep

so proud of you Very Happy xx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet   What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 1:40 pm

She was very sore on that foot Cally, it was hard for her
she had a bit of a kick at the farrier!! I'm a bit concerned tonight as she seemed
stiff, I supose she must feel strange, she still walks as if she has the overgrown hooves
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet   What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet Empty

Back to top Go down

What to do ? donkeys with overgrown feet
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next