Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )

https://gallopingfree.forumactif.com

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Version FrancaiseVersion Francaise  

How long to let a new horse settle before riding

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Felicity

Felicity

How long to let a new horse settle before riding Empty
PostSubject: How long to let a new horse settle before riding   How long to let a new horse settle before riding EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 3:04 am

Hi, I would be interested in hearing member's views on how long to let a new horse settle in before riding him [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: How long to let a new horse settle before riding   How long to let a new horse settle before riding EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 4:14 am

As long as there is no reason why you shouldn't, straight away, I don't mean as soon as you have unloaded, but certainly the next day. I think it is a positive step for horse and rider, as in start as you mean to carry on. It doesn't have to be a lot but I think it's like saying" this is our life together, lets do it" it's to easy to keep making excuses not to. Smile
Pen x
Back to top Go down
Horseybird

Horseybird

PostSubject: Re: How long to let a new horse settle before riding   How long to let a new horse settle before riding EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 9:31 am

I am with Pen on this. You don't go to a show and say, ohhh just have a week or two to settle in.

Walking out in hand, or sitting with them in a field or stable and just reading a book all helps with the bonding precess.

I feel that you don't really see the real horse till after a year, but around 3 weeks they do try you out just to see what they can get away with now they have got their feet under the table so to speak. This is when you really must carry on as you mean to go on.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pintalusian.com
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: How long to let a new horse settle before riding   How long to let a new horse settle before riding EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 2:59 pm

Come on felicity "spill" are you getting a new pony??????????? do tell!!!!! Laughing
Pen x
Back to top Go down
Zait-Bet

Zait-Bet

PostSubject: Re: How long to let a new horse settle before riding   How long to let a new horse settle before riding EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 2:23 am

Personally I would always do some groundwork first, its fun and it gives you a chance to really get to know each other and it helps to build trust. Even if just for a few days.
Back to top Go down
Felicity

Felicity

PostSubject: Re: How long to let a new horse settle before riding   How long to let a new horse settle before riding EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 4:07 am

Thanks everyone for the input and yes, Pen, I have a new pony [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .
I will definitely be building a relationship on the ground with groundwork especially as he is pretty stressed by the move.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Horseybird

Horseybird

PostSubject: Re: How long to let a new horse settle before riding   How long to let a new horse settle before riding EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 4:37 am

Try some Iganatia to help settle him into his new surrounds.
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: How long to let a new horse settle before riding   How long to let a new horse settle before riding EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 6:26 am

Thats great news Felicity, fingers crossed all goes well, let us know how you get along, it would be lovely to follow your progress. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] you know where I am if you need a hand with anything.
Pen x
Back to top Go down
Felicity

Felicity

PostSubject: Re: How long to let a new horse settle before riding   How long to let a new horse settle before riding EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 2:58 pm

Thanks guys [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Where do I get Iganatia from? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Horseybird

Horseybird

PostSubject: Re: How long to let a new horse settle before riding   How long to let a new horse settle before riding EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 1:52 am

The pharmancy ask for 30ch, give 5 the first day 3 times a day, then just one a day in it's water, or slide it into a carrot or apple. Until thje horse appears more settled. If that doesn't work then give me a shout.
Back to top Go down
Felicity

Felicity

PostSubject: Re: How long to let a new horse settle before riding   How long to let a new horse settle before riding EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 4:12 am

Thanks for that Horseybird [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I'll try it [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: How long to let a new horse settle before riding   How long to let a new horse settle before riding EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 9:53 am

How are you getting on Felicity? is he settling down yet. Just a thought, if you can't get along with homeopathy perhaps you could try a herbal remedy, something containing chamomile, verbain, valerian root and skullcap all of which are relaxants, ideal for a horse that is nervous, tense or insecure.
Pen [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
tristar

PostSubject: how long to let a new horse settle before riding   How long to let a new horse settle before riding EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 3:48 am

like pen says depends on what their previous routine was, how fit they are etc. i use herbal on animals and myself, on hay fever at moment, with success, i do find the grass here rich plus its spring grass so i control energy by limiting grazing, corn etc. and generally use lunging to remove excess nervous energy before riding combined with grooming to start the session, i reckon they are like us and must feel disorientated by new surroundings, different food and perhaps miss old owner and horse companions.
Back to top Go down
Felicity

Felicity

PostSubject: Re: How long to let a new horse settle before riding   How long to let a new horse settle before riding EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 4:38 am

Thanks Pen and Tristar. Oscar has settled down a lot and is even playing with the boys. It's only been a week so things are going in the right direction.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How long to let a new horse settle before riding   How long to let a new horse settle before riding Empty

Back to top Go down

How long to let a new horse settle before riding
Page 1 of 1