Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )

https://gallopingfree.forumactif.com

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Version FrancaiseVersion Francaise  

How can I control a pushy companion horse?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

How can I control a pushy companion horse? Empty
PostSubject: How can I control a pushy companion horse?   How can I control a pushy companion horse? EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 12:47 am

My horse is kept in a pasture with another horse (not mine - belongs to
another boarder I've not met). This a very nice horse, but a pushy
horse. It is often hard to get my horse out of the pasture gate because
the other horse wants to follow. Any tips on how to get the companion
horse to respect my space when catching my own horse?
Back to top Go down
cally50
Admin
cally50

PostSubject: Re: How can I control a pushy companion horse?   How can I control a pushy companion horse? EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 1:23 am

Hello and [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

If the horses respect electric tape I would try to create a mini area next to the gate that is not " live" with a few posts and a tape see how that works then once your horse is next to the gate you can then get through without danger of the other escaping , or you could try distracting the other with a bit of hay or whatever. Maybe they will put in a permanent collecting area if it works well
I'm sure other members will come with their ideas too soon [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
https://gallopingfree.forumactif.com
Felicity

Felicity

PostSubject: Re: How can I control a pushy companion horse?   How can I control a pushy companion horse? EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 5:39 am

Hello and [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] from me too.

It sounds as if the horse doesn't want to be left on it's own. Could you bring that one in as well while your one is in. In the yards I used to have my horses it was always a rule not to leave one horse on it's own in the field if the others were being brought in.

The way I keep horses from barging out is to vigorously flick the full length of a rope (lead rope) with a bit of weight in it at the horse (not like hitting). You don't even need to actually touch the horse, they seem to respect it. A bit like you see Monty Roberts or Kelly Marks do when they do join up.

Good luck [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How can I control a pushy companion horse?   How can I control a pushy companion horse? Empty

Back to top Go down

How can I control a pushy companion horse?
Page 1 of 1