Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )

https://gallopingfree.forumactif.com

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Version FrancaiseVersion Francaise  

school surfaces

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
salee

salee

school surfaces Empty
PostSubject: school surfaces   school surfaces EmptyFri May 04, 2012 1:06 pm

hi advice on suitable surfaces for schools

since this is a rented house & even with permission from the owner i am reluctant to spend money here,

but.....

i could do with somewhere to make a small school/lunging area, & i was a wonderin' scratch what i could do that would be
(1) fairly cheap (2) work! (3) able to be gotten rid off if i move on.

so far shavings/bark chippings would seem an option, possibly mixed with sand as a semi /temp choice, assuming it needs to be got rid off it would become a huge compost heap?

i don't expect it would last well, but even if i only get the current rescues going before summers end it would be worth it if not megga expensive.

brainstorm here folks, let me know your opinions, experiences etc & does anyone know where to buy a lot of cheap chippings? school surfaces 535731

thanks bye school surfaces 35522
Back to top Go down
FollyFoot

FollyFoot

school surfaces Empty
PostSubject: Re: school surfaces   school surfaces EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 12:34 pm

A surface won't come cheaper than this, but has it's downsides:

Firstly prepare the area, very important to make sure it drains ok.
a) let the muckheap rot down, use the oldest stuff to form a soft springy base.
b) mix in woodchips - get one of those B&Q type chipping machines and chip up every small branch you can lay your hands on. Ask everyone you know to donate their small branches too as you will need lots.

When you've done with it, it will return to nature.

PS: You could add sand but that can be expensive as it will require a few tons for even the thinest layer, and a thin layer will be lost into the surface very quickly.
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

school surfaces Empty
PostSubject: Re: school surfaces   school surfaces EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 2:13 pm

I think that sounds like a brilliant idea cheers but does need some forward planning. Neutral
pen
Back to top Go down
FollyFoot

FollyFoot

school surfaces Empty
PostSubject: Re: school surfaces   school surfaces EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 4:23 am

Thanks, it's good to know I can have a bright idea now and then. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

school surfaces Empty
PostSubject: Re: school surfaces   school surfaces Empty

Back to top Go down

school surfaces
Page 1 of 1