Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )

https://gallopingfree.forumactif.com

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Version FrancaiseVersion Francaise  

Bonjour's Blog

Go down 
+5
cally50
georgie
Azaria
maycloud
bonjour
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Azaria
Azaria

Bonjour's Blog - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Bonjour's Blog - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 11:27 am

Sounds like you're going to have to keep up the work with roo or she's going to be getting herself into all sorts of bother Twisted Evil some "ponies" are just like that Rolling Eyes
It will be lovely when joey comes back for you to be able to show him and the rest of the family, how much she has hopefully grown up and what you have acheived.
pen
Back to top Go down
bonjour

bonjour

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Bonjour's Blog - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 2:30 pm

Not having anyone to hack out with today, I couldn't do any ridden work with Roo, so I got the long-reins on her and after a bit of a warm-up in the fiel, we set off for a little walk out in the big wide world.

Roo and buster are curently in a friend's field, not our's, so she was straight out into unfamiliar surroundings on farm tracks, not road. In her enthusiasm to get going, she was fine for the first 50 metres or so. Then it suddenly dawned on her and she stopped dead and id a little shy sideways affraid .

I kept her from tuning for home and gave her a moment to take in he surrounding then told her firmly to "walk on", which, a little to my surprise she did Very Happy . We went about another 300 metres down the track and rond some corners and she was fine apart from calling back to Buster, who was being a sissy abot being left behind.

We approached (very nervously) a pallet with a deadly blue tarpaulin over it and even walked past it a little way [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Then we got to a point where the track narrowed and she spotted a little way ahead a haystack with an even bigger DEADLY BLUE TARPAULIN! affraid affraid affraid This was too much for poor Roo and she was NOT going to go into the narrow bit of the lane, so we did a bit of standing still practice and after that a neat half-turn and went back the way we came for fifty yards, past the, now, VERY SCARY pallet confused and back to a wide bit where I could turn her again for another try. Roo was none too keen to go back towards the haystack and we did a bit of weaving and wobbling to keep her going the right way. By now I'd decided not to risk pushing her into the narrow section leading up to the haystack, but to make her have a good look at the pallet instead, as that was on a wide bit where it was safe to turn. She was a bit nervous of the pallet but was much more worried about the distant haystack and kept trying to look that way.

We then headed, rather too enthusiastically, for home and I had to stop and circle her several times to get her attention. A couple of slightly fraught moments when she wanted to rush through gates and gaps between bramble bushes but otherwise not too bad for first time long-reining in unfamiliar surroundings.

It was obviously quite a stressful lesson for roo as she was quite sweated up but not from exertion. However, it ended well, with lots of fuss and praise and a good roll once the tack was off, so I don't think she'll be mentally scarred for life. lol!

I now need to get a big blue tarp and do some more desensitisation with her before tackling the haystack track again.

Bill.
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Bonjour's Blog - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 2:42 pm

Phew!!! What a brave 'pony' roo was going passed those nasty bue tarps Laughing
seriously though, it is amazing how horses reactions can be different when they are seeing things in a different place Rolling Eyes all good stuff cheers
Will you be able to ride out from there bill?
pen
Back to top Go down
maycloud

maycloud

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Bonjour's Blog - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 2:43 pm

The girl did good, loads of new things there.

yep get a nice big blue tarp and put that down for her to walk on then later just drap /hang it around so it flaps around, if she's really worried put her feed bucket by it Laughing

Well done you guys Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.brittanybedandbreakfast.net
bonjour

bonjour

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Bonjour's Blog - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 2:56 pm

Hoping to get chance to ride out from there sometime this week, depending on work and availability of someone to ride Bluey. If I do get her out we'll try the same route ad see if she'll be more confident in company. that's assuming that the tarp on the haystack doesn't freak Bluey out too Laughing .

Food looms large in Roo's priorities, so I'll try putting her bucket near, or even.......... (how cruel Twisted Evil ).......ON the tarp.

Bill.
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Bonjour's Blog - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 1:15 pm

How's it going Bill?? Bonjour's Blog - Page 4 307787 did the "ponies" miss you?
pen
Back to top Go down
bonjour

bonjour

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Bonjour's Blog - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 3:35 pm

I don't think they missed me much. Mel kept them fed while I was away. Trouble with that is that Roo thinks she's moved up the pecking order while I'm away and the cheeky madam tried to take a little nip at me while I was moving her fence. Evil or Very Mad

I stamped my foot and yelled "No!", which shocked her a bit, then I chased her away and kept chasing her until I got her looking a bit submissive, licking, chewing, etc. Then i tried for "join-up" by stopping and standing at an angle to her. It worked! she came over, quiet and cautiously and followed me respectfully around the paddock. cheers

That was two days ago. She's been ever so good since then.

We haven't done much this week, apart from some nice grooming sessions and a little bit of "Try it on-Take it off-Try it on again" with the breast collar of her harness. It's too small for her but by putting it on, upside down, over her head and turning it round her neck, it's good practice for when she gets to try on her full working collar, which arrived yesterday cheers It's second hand but has only been on a Shire youngster a handful of times before he outgrew it. It's adjustable from 27-30 inches and it should fit nicely as I've measured her (as best I can) at 29 inches. I'll post some pics when we are ready to try it on her.

My son, an apprentice mechanic, has also got me a JCB tyre for when we are ready to start her driven work. It might be a bit on the big side to start with, so I'll ask him to get me a lorry tyre too.

Maybe by next spring we''l get her doing some of this.

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]

This is Tina, the Breton mare belonging to my friends' neighbour at Jobourg, north Manche. while I was there last week Andre, her owner, gave me some tips on breaking and working draught horses and he let me have a go at harrowing the poos with an old iron cart tyre. How kind of him, I hear you say scratch Laughing .

we also took her out in the cart for several hours on the Thursday and Saturday, most of which with me driving, which was good practice for me.

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]

In case you're wondering why she's so sweaty going OUT the gate, this one was posed after we'd got back from a morning drive.

Bill.

Edits: typos
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Bonjour's Blog - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 1:25 pm

Cheeky Girlie!! I think that's a "mare" thing personally. What do you think? Geldings don't try to muscle in, as quickly perhaps, mares, I think try it on within a couple of days.... maybe it's something to do with mares "needing" a hierarchy.???? Anyone??

I love you Love tina, it's great to be able to get your hands on a "driving" horse, that knows the job!
Look forward to having progress reports.
cheers cheers cheers to mel for taking care of everything while you were off on your jolly. Very Happy
pen

Back to top Go down
maycloud

maycloud

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Bonjour's Blog - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 2:26 pm

Lovely pics and lovely Breton Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

My boys have peacking order and do have to be reminded at times and like Bill said when you have been away for a bit, needless to say Brett is the boss Laughing
Back to top Go down
bonjour

bonjour

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Bonjour's Blog - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 3:26 pm

I have been a bit pushed for time lately but I managed to knock off early yesterday and we went up to do a bit of sacking out and trying on of harness parts with Roo.

i don't think she's seen an umbrella before and at first she found it a SCARY THING. However, curiosity (which she has in big heaps!) evenually got the better of her.

The big surprise was Buster, in the next paddock, who was very upset by the brolly and wouldn't come near me while I had it, even folded up.

Mel took her new video camera with her and put together this little film. Unfortunately it's no in HD because her editing software doesn't do HD, though the camera does. also there's an annoying glitch at the end, courtesy of Youtube because it's not on the original.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Bill
Back to top Go down
Sarah85

Sarah85

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Bonjour's Blog - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 8:23 am

Looks like time put to very good use. Did you enjoy it? Roo did! Could almost hear her saying 'up a bit', 'down a bit', 'stop' 'lovely' when you were rubbing her chest!
Back to top Go down
maycloud

maycloud

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Bonjour's Blog - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 8:37 am

Great vid of Roo, as you say she has loads of curiosity Very Happy Laughing

Buster sounds like Teepy who at 30 you would think would have done all that and be bomb proof Laughing

Last edited by maycloud on Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Bonjour's Blog - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 1:03 pm

cheers Well Done team "Bonjour" Bonjour's Blog - Page 4 411876
pen
Back to top Go down
georgie

georgie

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Bonjour's Blog - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 2:02 pm

Great! She's a lovely big 'bouncy' girl!
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Bonjour's Blog - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 1:19 pm

How's it going bonjour? bounce what progress on the brolly front Bonjour's Blog - Page 4 411876 . have you managed to ride much Bonjour's Blog - Page 4 35522
pen
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Bonjour's Blog - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 2:42 pm

Think of you often bonjour and wonder how you're all doing Bonjour's Blog - Page 4 470519  miss you loads.
pen
Back to top Go down
cally50
Admin
cally50

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Bonjour's Blog - Page 4 EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 4:24 am

Me too , hopefully no news is good news , he is probably busy busy
Back to top Go down
https://gallopingfree.forumactif.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Bonjour's Blog - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Bonjour's Blog
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4