Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )

http://gallopingfree.forumactif.com

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Version FrancaiseVersion Francaise  

Share | 

tree eating

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zait-Bet

PostSubject: tree eating   Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:48 am

My boys have taken to eating my beech hedge, can any one tell me if this is normal? They are not suffering any ill effects from it, if it is normal, why are they doing it? Theres still enough grass in the fields.

If any one can shed some light I would be interested to know.

Back to top Go down
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: tree eating   Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:20 am

Mine have always done it, it probably makes a nice change......nice and crunchy Laughing
pen

PostSubject: Re: tree eating   Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:47 am

Mine have eaten all the low branches off all the tree's. The other day I was astounded to find my Criollo's digging a large hole in the middle of the field I assumed to make a dust bowl to roll in, no, the next morning they are all 6 stood round in a circle licking the dust . They have salt licks and mineral licks in the field but they obviously just fancied a bit of dust !
Bizare animals, you spend a fortune on feed stuffs and they eat dirt, oh yeah just remembered, as a father of 6 and the kids all did the same when they were little !
Back to top Go down
http://www.bob-reader.webs.com
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: tree eating   Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:30 pm

My old boy, who lived till he was 32, would have mild colic twice a year (when the grass changed) he would walk around, nose to the ground....sniffing, when he came to the right place he would lick the ground, this would be for twenty minutes or so, till he made quite a dip. We only ever had to get the vet out to him for one colic, the first one he had in france, when he couldn't find what he was looking for Shocked I think he was pretty amazing to know instinctively what he needed to make himself better.
pen sunny

PostSubject: Re: tree eating   Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:19 am

horses are actually browsers - they dont just eat grass, but browse on shrubs and low branches of trees. horses that are confined for one reason or another, really enjoy fresh cut branches of suitable trees (not yew etc!!) it helps enrich their environment as well as providing nutrition.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tree eating   

Back to top Go down

tree eating
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1