Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )

http://gallopingfree.forumactif.com

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Version FrancaiseVersion Francaise  

Share | 

Son?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
vickytho

PostSubject: Son?   Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:04 am

Hi All,has anyone used son? I know it is a feed. Is it like bran? My vet has sugested I give to my ponies as he says they must be on a strict diet & this will fill them up!!! Would I get it from Point Vert?
Thanks Vicky .
Back to top Go down
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Son?   Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi vicky,
I've not heard of it, but I'm sure someone will know of it, sounds useful.
Pen Smile

PostSubject: Re: Son?   Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:15 pm

yes Vicky it's bran, it's good for laminitic horses
Back to top Go down
salee

PostSubject: Re: Son?   Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:26 am

just to point out bran can be wheat bran, oat bran, barley bran etc or a mixture, all have slightly different qualities,

bran is good, low ish calorie but good protein but it has low calcium & high pottassium(?) so be carefull if you use it for brood mares or youngsters, a calcium balancer is a good idea, sugar beet & any bran is a great combo in general very good for low work ponies but no darn use in the laminitic!!

pity we cant somehow transfer the extra blubber of the fatties to the can't keep weight ons....OH if Only!!!
cheers cheers cheers bye

Back to top Go down
tristar

PostSubject: son?   Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:18 am

bran is high in the mineral phosphorus, and unless carefully balanced with calcium can cause bone formation problems in breeding and youngstock, and sometimes in older animals, its important to get the correct ratio, more calcium than phosphorus, that' why i don't use it , and always feed it well damped to avoid choking, if you want to fill them up try growing grasses of meadow mixture not grazing on cattle type grasses, a pain to change but helps long term
Back to top Go down
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Son?   Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:50 pm

Hi vicky, hope you and yours are well, how did you get on with the sol? how is "B" ?
penx

PostSubject: Re: Son?   Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:33 am

Hi Pen, found the son at Agri Demeter,(13.87 for 40kg) it's only just down the road. Baccardi is ok now. It was Laminitis but she wasn't showing the normal signs. Both vets(local & st lo) said it was very unusual (time of year,no grass,not over weight,not getting any hard food) but thay think it had alot to do with the hard ground & concussion.She has support shoes on the front & I have started taking her for a pootle in the field keeping on the soft & we will see how we go.
Hope all is well at your end. Vicky bounce
Back to top Go down
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Son?   Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:23 pm

I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but at least you know what you're dealing with. Thankfully all ours are well and managing to keep well and out of trouble, thank goodness Rolling Eyes
Hope to see you in the not to distant future. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
pen

PostSubject: Re: Son?   

Back to top Go down

Son?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED ) :: Horsey Chat :: Tips + Useful info or Need Advice ?-
Jump to: