Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )

https://gallopingfree.forumactif.com

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Version FrancaiseVersion Francaise  

stream drinking water

Go down 
+2
tristar
pachypach
6 posters
AuthorMessage
pachypach

stream drinking water Empty
PostSubject: stream drinking water   stream drinking water EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 2:34 pm

I have (finally!) found a more than suitable field for our two (hurray!)
the maire contacted me as the commune have bought a 4ha lake with a 2ha field behind.
There is a slight access problem (no cars!) but that can be overcome. the other 'problem' is drinking water.
No electrics there (cant leave a gennie there either for fear of it getitng knicked!)
so cant pump water up from lake or stream which runs down through a small wooded area (pine trees & brambles!) to the lake.
can my horses drink directly from this stream if I make an access?
also to stop the small bank wearing away, what can we put down? (bear in mind we cant ship a load of hardcore there as no road acces!)
we also need to make two small 'bridges' across low lying wettish area which are on the path to the field- any ideas what is study enough for our two?
all ideas muchly appreciated, as we've been waiting a year for a good field, and we don't want to lose it
I'm sure all 'problems' can be overcome......
Back to top Go down
tristar

PostSubject: stream drinking water   stream drinking water EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 8:36 am

i personally would not use stream drinking water under any circumstances because of agricultural chemicals washing off fields, not to mention anything else up stream that might get in and contaminate the water, over which you have no control, dead wildlife etc. moving water is difficult, its very heavy! i saw recently in a depot vente a water barrel on wheels with a handle to pull it along, also you can get very large square plastic water containers, the farmers use them, agrial or espace emeraude sell them, but you need to get a friendly farmer to put it on site, high enough to let you access the water easily. depending on how deep the wet bits are its possible to put a large drainage pipe in and then put lots of very large hardcore, after its settled something suitable for the horses feet to walk on on the top, its all work but afterwards you are sorted and have made life much easier.
Back to top Go down
pachypach

PostSubject: Re: stream drinking water   stream drinking water EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 9:06 am

thanks tristar
unfortunately we dont have a choice for the water source. literally a car cant get down there let alone a tractor! our two drink from a stream at the mo, but we have electric where they are now so can pump it out.
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: stream drinking water   stream drinking water EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 12:00 pm

I like tristar wouldn't like my horses to drink from a stream, you just never know whats run into it, however that said ,if its the only way to water your horses, couldn't you bail out what you need? that will save them breaking up the bank. There are rubber mats you can buy now, usually to go in the entrance of fields to stop them getting boggy, I've seen them in Horse and Hound mag, they're probably quite expensive Rolling Eyes As for your "bridges" the only thing I can think of is railway sleepers.
Pen
Back to top Go down
margaux

PostSubject: Re: stream drinking water   stream drinking water EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 8:50 am

I used to have a stream running through our last field in the Mayenne, before we moved here. No access to that either, except a muddy track.
I worried about this as in the uk there is so much to look for in streams from farm chemical run off, industrial or quarry rubbish etc. However, if you know the route beyond your field of the stream back to its source, and it only passes through natural territory then its more than likely fine. You can get it tested at the local pharmacie if you want to make sure.
Watch out for notices from the maire about poisoning of ragodons which they occassionally do to get the numbers down, and note your interests with the secretary so they do not to go poisining in your fields! And check out regularly if lazy fishermen leave any rubbish or lines around [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ours used to drink happily, one of them regularly sunbathing with his feet in the cool water, from the natural lower parts of the bank. If its steep then you might have to make a slope somewhere, they will find it.
good luck [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
margaux

PostSubject: Re: stream drinking water   stream drinking water EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 8:53 am

Oh, and we made a bridge, useable by horse or 4X4 by using a large round concrete drainage thingy but of course you have to get that there first, maybe a friendly farmer will tractor it over for you? You will get good advice from your Agrial [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
pachypach

PostSubject: Re: stream drinking water   stream drinking water EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 9:17 am

thanks margaux, that's put my mind at rest a bit. It is only a very small stream so only about 20cm deep at a guess.
am taking a friend down to look tomorrow (hubby stuck in Finland at the mo!) to get his advice about drainage on the two boggy bits. The mairie will eventually put it all right, as they're hoping to turn the lake into a nature reserve with walks round etc, but I obviously can't wait for them to do that as it's the only access!
Back to top Go down
salee

salee

PostSubject: Re: stream drinking water   stream drinking water EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 3:18 am

several places i have been on livery at (in uk) had natural and piped water, most horses ignored the piped unless the natural went dry.
if the lake is a fishing lake then they will be carefull as to chemicals etc as fish are far more sensitive to contaminants than animals are, the dead animal upstream bit is probably not a big issue for horses, unless it is numerous or a darn big body,

i would however point out a slight danger to a shallow stream....colic.
if the water is shallow there is a risk they suck up sand/dirt/gravel which can be a cause of colic, commonly known as sand colic,

i understand the problem with leaving a generator on site to pump, but could you take 1 a few times a month to pump to fill a large water tank or 2? i have seen the big white cube plastic whatsits for sale i think about 160 euro each, although they are not that heavy empty i think you would need a few friends to get them on site by hand.

or a battery powered pump such as for a fountain run off a car battery once a day if you can't get the gen there? the small pumps can't lift water high but should make it from a stream to say a bath tub ok.

i 2nd the use of railway sleepers as bridges, you need to keep the span short, with supports but a farm i was on had them as a main access, cars, tractors and boxes passed over ok so a horse's weight is nowt to them.

& i must add..... you jammy so n so getting a field! i am soooooo jealous i have been after some green stuff growing for my lot for ages, can't you post me a bit down here,,,pweeezze [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] bye [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Horseybird

Horseybird

PostSubject: Re: stream drinking water   stream drinking water EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 9:28 am

Sorry I haven't read all the posts, but mine drink from a stream all summer, we have never had a problem.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pintalusian.com

PostSubject: Re: stream drinking water   stream drinking water EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 3:37 pm

you can get the water analysed for free if you take it to
the town hall
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: stream drinking water   stream drinking water EmptyTue May 11, 2010 2:43 pm

How's it going pachypach? have you moved to your new field yet? would be good to hear how you are all getting on.
Pen [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
pachypach

PostSubject: update   stream drinking water EmptyTue May 11, 2010 3:28 pm

hi everyone,
update on our field situation,
after looking at the field & access more closely, I unfortunately had to turn it down (unless the maire can gain access from the top via a farmers field). if it starts to rain (which it does alot of here in Brittany lol!) then the route for access round the lake at the bottom is going to become waterlogged, so I won't even be able to get to the horses, and they won't be able to get out either! so not a good idea!
shame as field apart from that is good.
my friend who is getting a horse later in year (after house renovations finished!) has said she will fence a part of her field off for us, so we can come & go when we like there.
so the plan is now to keep the field on where they are and alternate between the two.
thanks v much for all your advice
Back to top Go down
Azaria
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: stream drinking water   stream drinking water EmptyWed May 12, 2010 4:03 am

Sounds like it could all work out for the best [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] apart from anything else, you and your friend will be able to keep an eye on each others horses. Good Luck
Pen [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: stream drinking water   stream drinking water Empty

Back to top Go down

stream drinking water
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED ) :: Horsey Chat :: Tips + Useful info or Need Advice ?-
Jump to: