Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )

http://gallopingfree.forumactif.com

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Version FrancaiseVersion Francaise  

Share | 

windsucker

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
salee

PostSubject: windsucker   Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:30 am

hi guys, i was recently offered a really nice riding pony as a swap for my bretons by a guy wanting a future driving pair.

all was going well the pony was a darling, about 14.2hh rising 6 sweet tempered, very quiet, bombproof it even had a paper feed sack flapped around his head, not bad looking, think small trotter sort of build, condition a bit on the skinny side but with this last winter thats not rare,

so all was looking good, then it walked up to the nearest fence post & instead of taking some hay as expected it started windsucking,

at this point i turned it down, but i am wondering if maybe i was too hasty?

i was always told to avoid windsuckers like the plague, that others on the same yard copy the habit & i know a confirmed long standing case can be soooo hard to quit, plus the teeth damage & colic, poor condition bla bla bla

so i wonder was the windsucking the reason for the lack of condition & muscle? or was it as the seller claimed that the girl rider had lost interest & left it stood in the box most of the last 4 months?

either way i wanted to get the views of you guys, whats the latest word on windsucking as i might be out of date, are there any new tricks or gadgets to help stop it or was i right to just walk away?

can anyone reccomend any GOOD HONEST dealers I know they are rare but they do exist who might be interested in any of my 2 bretons & 1 donk & 2 small pony mares in exchange for a pony/horse over 13hh & under say 15.2hh who is safe for a fossil to ride? all i want to do is plod about ideally without getting spooked on every 3 min.

bye
Back to top Go down
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: windsucker   Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:48 am

Windsucking Neutral I really wouldn't like to say do or don't on such a young horse, if she's amazing in all other ways I think I would take a chance, even though seeing a horse constantly "gulping" air makes me feel sick!
It could be that stress and boredom could be contributing or even causing the vice, so maybe with work,understanding and maybe even a "strap" you could control it.
I wouldn't worry too much about others copying, if one has a barn full of youngsters, in boxes face to face, then yes, but in your situation and with the horses you have I wouldn't think it would be a problem. As for teeth, that would be an issue for a horse that "cribs" that is when a horse takes hold of something ie. stable door, or fence. This not only damages the horses teeth, making it difficult for him to graze properly but damages fencing and anything else they can get hold of Mad I have known horses to crib on lead ropes and the rug another horse is wearing. Molo, the old horse that I had here was a windsucker Sad for the last couple of years he was impossible to keep weight on, as with most horses with this vice they do eventually have gut problems as in ulcers. I believe that there is now research going on to see if they can establish whether the windsucking/cribbing cause ulcers or whether ulcers cause the windsucking/cribbing. Maybe someone else will be more up to date.

Not an easy choice for you.
pen

PostSubject: Re: windsucker   Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:23 am

thanks, azaria,
thats exactly the sort of info i need, i know research goes on into all sorts & since i am long out of the training/competition loop its easy to get old fashioned.
interesting chicken & egg situation with the ulcers <> windsuck idea? he was as i said a gentleman as far as his behavior & riding but he ran up light on condition & a bit tucked up, with what i was initially begining to suspect was a possible broken wind diaphrame line (turned out to be the windsucking causing the line instead as his wind was sound) so i am worried about long term health problems, are there any tests thet can be done to see about ulcers etc?
i only want him for light work but i can't take on more vets bills & he was not exactly cheap.
my worry over copycat is for spirit, she is a mimic & soo nosy.

cup of tea & big think time. bye
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: windsucker   

Back to top Go down

windsucker
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED ) :: Horsey Chat :: Tips + Useful info or Need Advice ?-
Jump to: