Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )

http://gallopingfree.forumactif.com

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Version FrancaiseVersion Francaise  

Share | 

tips on thrush

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
calton

PostSubject: tips on thrush   Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:00 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] hi.. any tips on how to get rid of thrush............[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Zait-Bet

PostSubject: Re: tips on thrush   Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:57 am

My barefoot farrier in Portugal recommended triple anitbiotic cream mixed with atheletes foot cream, pushed in around the frog and in the crevice of the frog. Worked a treat for my horse. Also cider vinegar works well.
Back to top Go down
cally50
Admin

PostSubject: Re: tips on thrush   Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:34 am

Good tips there Zait-Bet , If possible keep them on dry ground/ shelter, regular picking out to get the air into any crevices where bacteria can grow , I think you can use iodine as a scrub etc

Heres one of the videos out there that may help Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
calton

PostSubject: Re: tips on thrush   Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:03 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] thanks cally and zait-bet, what do you think about hydrogen peroxide??[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
cally50
Admin

PostSubject: Re: tips on thrush   Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:25 am

I just found this whilst googling that might be helpful

"DO NOT apply bleach or hydrogen peroxide to a horse’s feet. These so-called “treatments” will burn the healthy tissues of the frog and actually retard healing."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: tips on thrush   Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:39 pm

I would scrub the feet clean, use h. peroxide, hold the foot up while it fizz's , RINSE with clean water, let the foot dry naturally if possible then spray with purple spray or the blue stuff they use here Shocked or if you can get it eucalyptus oil. Is the horse lame? if yes, vet/ are the frogs shaggy? if yes they need trimming by your farrier or the vet.
Good luck
pen

PostSubject: Re: tips on thrush   Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:28 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] thank you for your input.............think i will go with iodine and purple spray...........xx[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: tips on thrush   Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:08 am

Do members, or have they ever used bleach, as in Domestos on any part of their horse? I have never heard, read or seen of this being OK Shocked

Hydrogen peroxide, which is referred to as "bleach" in the hairdressing industry is a different matter. 6% (20 vol) is used as a mild skin disinfectant and can even be used diluted as a gargle or mouth wash.

pen

PostSubject: Re: tips on thrush   Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:56 am

I've never heard of household bleach being used, and wouldn't dream of using it, but I was taught that using a weak Hydrogen Peroxide to deal with Thrush is ok. Even had a couple of farriers when I was in the Uk back that one up. Times change I guess, so many things that were once considered ok are now frowned upon.

If not wanting to use Peroxide maybe use this method; clean the foot thoroughly with salt water, use purple spray and then a liberal application of Stockholm Tar.
Back to top Go down
salee

PostSubject: Re: tips on thrush   Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:05 am

my horse vet in the vendee prescribed for Salties on going foot abcess problems foot soaks of hot water with salt & BLEACH, normal household stuff, not strong, just 10ml in 1/2 a bucket of hottish water with a handfull of salt twice a day for about 10 min a time.
so it is usable but not as a strong solution,

i used to use hibiscrub as a general smelly foot (thrush) scrub, you can buy it here but it is called something else & it is not pink, i keep a dilution of it in a spray bottle with the grooming brushes handy for small cuts & scratches & what have you that you find while ploughing off the mud they have rolled in!

because saltie started with thrush on her opposite foot while her bad foot was bad & she couldn't take weight on it - meaning the other front foot couldnt be lifted to pick it out, we stood the good foot in a shallow *foot bath of mild bleach water to clean it out while her bad foot was in a bucket soak, on days she could lift the good foot up we slopped stockholm tar on the sole & heels packing it well into the grooves & cleft,

* for a shallow footbath we used an old backing tin with some rubber from a bathmat under it to stop it sliding about.

if nessesity is the mother of invention.. is money the father of lazyness?

bye [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tips on thrush   

Back to top Go down

tips on thrush
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1