Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )

http://gallopingfree.forumactif.com

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Version FrancaiseVersion Francaise  

Share | 

scarlets' blog

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
scarlet

PostSubject: Re: scarlets' blog   Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:55 am

well shall i say poorly put together horses! ewe necks, roach backs, cow hocks, pigeon toes etc etc all horses are lovely - but some are easier on the eye than others. but beauty is as beauty does , and the most stunning horse can be a right
!"!£$£" . i appreciate beauty , but kindness of spirit is far more appealing! (and yes oscar does have a slight roach back ,and thomas a roman nose but they are beautiful to me!!)
flower
Back to top Go down
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: scarlets' blog   Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:55 am

cheers well retrieved scarlet Laughing

PostSubject: Re: scarlets' blog   Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:30 am

i thought so!Laughing
Back to top Go down
scarlet

PostSubject: Re: scarlets' blog   Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:24 pm

ok, just got back today and what has happened to the sun?? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
has it been moved, or is it part of french cutbacks ie only allowed to shine for a couple of days a month????
its cold wet and miserable!!! and its nearly may!!! i was so looking forward to a long ride - but not in gale force winds - if i cant hear things coming up behind me i dont like it.
please tell me its going to get better!!![You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: scarlets' blog   Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:11 am

No It's not looking good for this week I'm afraid scarlet Rolling Eyes cold, wet and windy. It's never really that windy down at chapelle, maybe worth a try. Smile

pen

PostSubject: Re: scarlets' blog   Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:26 am

Isn't it just what we used to call 'April showers?' [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
maycloud

PostSubject: Re: scarlets' blog   Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:32 am

Yep except these are stitched together Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.brittanybedandbreakfast.net
georgie

PostSubject: Re: scarlets' blog   Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:36 am

No such thing as an ugly horse? here's an ugly horse...........

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Well he's making an ugly face anyway!
Back to top Go down
georgie

PostSubject: Re: scarlets' blog   Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:38 am

Quote :

Yep except these are stitched together Laughing Laughing

Lol. Yes Maycloud they certainly are
Back to top Go down
scarlet

PostSubject: Re: scarlets' blog   Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:15 am

looks more like a llama than a horse!!!
Back to top Go down
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: scarlets' blog   Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:15 am

..... I thought it was a camel Laughing

PostSubject: Re: scarlets' blog   Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:54 pm

all part of the same camelid family!!!
Back to top Go down
scarlet

PostSubject: Re: scarlets' blog   Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:23 am

well at very LONG last i am finally on my way home. have been away 2months looking after my mum . at times i thought i was never going to get home, but we finally took the very painful decision to put mum in a nursing home. ostensibly for respite after caring for her 24/7 , but neither myself nor my sister can see her being able to come out.
SO.... whats the weather like? or darent i ask. i imagine my pony is feral by now. graham assures me hes has 4 legs and a head still. but i can imagine our first ride will be fun . i am totally unfit as havent left mums flat except for shopping for over a month, plus ben annd jerrys at 2 am on many an occaision has taken its toll. can see oscar taking one horrified look and saying no coachloads please!!!affraid
am looking forward to trying to get some photos on my rides - but will need to get oscar settled before i attempt 1 handed riding ! also hoping to try some of the pont farcy rides azaria has done. just hope trailer hasnt rusted up in the rain, or my horse hasnt come down with rising damp.
oh, and it'll be good to see my husband too. he has said he'll be the one wearing the rose in his buttonhole at cherbourg......lol!
Back to top Go down
georgie

PostSubject: Re: scarlets' blog   Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:06 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] BACK !

Just as well Oscar is already a lovely shade of rust as with the rotten weather we've been having he won't look any different to you and I'm sure it will be like a hand in a glove getting back in that saddle!
Back to top Go down
scarlet

PostSubject: Re: scarlets' blog   Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:45 am

well bless his little heart. he came up to be caught , groomed and tacked up then loaded straight on the trailer like he does it every day. went to St Saveur -lendelin and decided to do mainly the disused railway track as its fairly level and quiet. stood like a rock for me to get on and off we set at a nice medium walk. so far so good. first bit of interest were the snoozing goats (10wks since he's seen them , so obviously has forgotten they live there) so we had a small dance . next was the jogger - the joggers never bother him , its whats CHASING them that Oscar worries about!! affraid ie is there a TRex round the corner? The jogger yelled something at me as he went past , but i didnt catch anything so assumed there was something up ahead. there was . herd of cattle had got out and were roaming through the woods on the side of the track chased by several people. glad i got the warning so was prepared. however i got off lightly as all i got was a minor shoot forward for a few feet with some theatrical snorting.
next up we had a nice long (fast) trot - till i got knackered. Oscar never seems to tire, even unfit, carrying me and fed on grass only. i think he uses energiser batteries !albino
so then we turned off the track down a chemin and headed home.no jogging just a nice fast walk
all in all 1 1/2 hrs and a 8/10 score for a first ride after a 10wks lay off. not even lunged before ridden. not bad for a blooded horse!!
oh it was nice to be out and the weather was nice as well. bliss. flies were a bit of a nuisance tho!!Evil or Very Mad now for some gardening . rain and winds have really messed with my garden.
Back to top Go down
bonjour

PostSubject: Re: scarlets' blog   Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:51 pm

Sounds brill! Smile It's always a bit nerve racking when you haven't ridden them for a long time but sounds like your Oscar is a star. sunny

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Back,

Bill.
Back to top Go down
scarlet

PostSubject: Re: scarlets' blog   Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:28 am

well considering the first ride last time we both ended up on the floor (not really his fault) and he then took off up the road and disappeared into the distance.... i think this is a definite improvement - but i must admit without an arena to ride in first, i do place a lot of trust in a horse that essentially only 3 yrs old (thats how long he's been broken).
i'm not a terribly confident rider, having had some bad experiences in the past, but i enjoy it too much to let the "what ifs" take over my thinking!!!!!Suspect
do the rest of you spend your rides thinking "what if.......??" or do you not have a mind like mine that can see problems round every corner?
i tend to see them and think what if... but then do it anyway - ie have been known to go for a good gallop first day back on a fresh unridden horse!!! and to hell with the bad possibilities!!!!
Back to top Go down
morseamy

PostSubject: Re: scarlets' blog   Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:01 am

Perhaps scarlet it would be safer to lunge him before you attempt to go out.

None of us "bounce" any more like we used too:bounce:
Back to top Go down
FollyFoot

PostSubject: Re: scarlets' blog   Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:41 am

None of us "bounce" any more like we used too

Problem is I never did bounce. bounce I always landed heavily (and far too many times to count - unfortunately doubt I have finished yet........).

Last edited by FollyFoot on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scarlet

PostSubject: Re: scarlets' blog   Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:44 pm

i would if i had anywhere i could lunge but the paddocks are all greasy with the rain .
Back to top Go down
scarlet

PostSubject: Re: scarlets' blog   Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:03 pm

good grief , where did all the horseflies come from??????
worst i have known it in 6 yrs here today. we went back up to St saveur lendelin today for ride 2. lovely day except so humid. took one of my favourite chemins only to have to turn back after 1/2 km as it was blocked by a tree down - and not recent by the looks of it.
no fauchaging has been done anywhere either - not here or in my own commune - is it the same for the rest of you??? this time last year the chemins were beautifully maintained in St S, which is why i keep riding up here .
took a different route and all though the whole ride we were besieged. i'd sprayed him liberally with deet and myself with aerogaurd but to no avail. i spent most of the ride running my whip all over him trying to dislodge the blood suckers. we tried outrunning them and that didnt work either. ://8:he was so distracted he didnt bother about the tractor with front end loader up and sprayer attachment, or the kid who ran out from behind a hedge squealing, or the pigeon that made such a commotion in the hedge etc etc. stood like a rock ( apart from trying to get rid of flies) as we waited to cross the main road . all in all a good lad . am seriously considering bug armour/ cashel quiet ride full face mask.
has anyone used either of these??scratch
didnt get my gallop today due to unforseen change of route. next time will go to chapelle and go for a burn up the Roche. i think we are definitely ready for it!What a Face
Back to top Go down
FollyFoot

PostSubject: Re: scarlets' blog   Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:54 am

I like the grey in your avatar scarlet (Thomas?).

Re the horseflies, have you tried Emouchine. Stinks to high heaven but I find it works well.
Back to top Go down
FollyFoot

PostSubject: Re: scarlets' blog   Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:57 am

Forgot to ask, which type of horsefly were bothering you? The grey things or those horrid large stripy biters?
Back to top Go down
scarlet

PostSubject: Re: scarlets' blog   Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:05 am

the razor flies (grey ones) havent met the Taons yet. yes the grey is Thomas - he's a real character. hard to believe a few years ago he was a hogged and clipped show cob. now nature has taken over and look at the feathers!! automatic anti fly protection - as is the forelock and mane. poor oscar has no forelock or feathers and a very fine skin.
Back to top Go down
scarlet

PostSubject: Re: scarlets' blog   Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:38 am

lovely ride today ,despite the forcast for rain. its was very black over bills' mothers (as we like to say oop north!!) but we trailered out to Chappelle and had a great ride . very few flies:D - hopefully because i dosed him with butox 2 days ago.
i tried a route that azaria took us on for the xmas ride with a few variations ....... i wouldnt call us lost exactly. just a tad misplaced. scratch it would help if the the pathways were marked but when faced with 3 in different directions and only the way you've come marked, its not terribly helpful!!!! anyway we were out around 2 1/2 hours and he's still not in the least bit tired despite all the hills . the only spook of the ride was at the beginning when some muppet waited till we were level with them to turn the pressure washer on!!!!poor oscar shot forward as if the hounds of hell were after him.affraid but a bit of a pull and a soothing voice and he came back to walk within 50yards.
muppets
did a fair bit of roadwork and he was good as gold. often after a layoff he forgets traffic and can be mildly silly. forgot how loud horseshoes are! have shod him for the summer and back to boots for autumn/winter/spring
saw some lovely iridescent green dragonflies by the river and plenty of buzzards over the Roche de ham.
no fauchaging been done out chappelle way either. must be due to Le Crise! but another month and the chemins will be impenetrable in places.No
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: scarlets' blog   

Back to top Go down

scarlets' blog
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next