Horse Lovers Forum ( Founded 2010 ) ( CLOSED )

http://gallopingfree.forumactif.com

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Version FrancaiseVersion Francaise  

Share | 

Bonjour's Blog

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
bonjour

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:22 pm

Laughing You'd never believe I'm just over 6 foot. I look like a child on a big fat pony! Roo certainly is quite a chunk of horse.

Gotta love my big bay effalump! I love you

Bill
Back to top Go down
georgie

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:27 pm

Very Happy Lovely! She does look well, love her dapples!
Back to top Go down
cally50
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:39 am

Love the photos [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Hope you've got plenty of mounting blocks around the village , she is obviously a happy big girly isn't she . love her dapples too . Well done Bill

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
http://gallopingfree.forumactif.com
bonjour

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:09 pm

I've been out of action with a back problem (not riding-related) so haven't been able to work Roo or exercise Buster for a fortnight Sad but the back's been feeling a bit better the last few days and the sunny was shining this aftenoon so I decided to chance it.

Roo was very good on the whole. I expected some boisterous behaviour on the long reins but only got one half=decent buck out of her and a feeble attempt at bolting off which stopped immediately with a firm, loud "NO!". I worked her for about 20 mins or so at walk and trot, plenty of changes of direction, a couple of back-ups and some halting and standing.

After that I rode her in the round pen for a few minutes before taking her out into the big field for about 10-15 minutes at walk and trot. We had one dodgy moment when she spooked badly at something in the hedge and shot sideways affraid but she regained her composure fairly quickly after a bit of snorting and tippy-toe trotting on the spot and was as good as gold after that.

If she keeps this up we'll still be on target for hacking out by the end of the month [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Just got to try and fit some weekday sessions in with her after work.

After putting Roo away I got Buster out for a hack and he was a bit of a bugger Evil or Very Mad Fine on the roads, though a little spooky, but wanted to tank off the whole time when his feet touched the grass. What should have been a steady hack out for an unfit horse turned into a semi-controlled bolt at times. Still, we got back safely and the sod can't be as unfit as I thought because he'd hardly broken a sweat.

I can't be too hard on him though, it's hardly his fault that he's been festering in the field for a fortnight. Rolling Eyes I might try and get some early morning rides in with him this week.

Sorry, no pics or vids, forgot to charge the camera battery, Doh! Rolling Eyes

Bill.
Back to top Go down
scarlet

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:56 am

I think we often dont realize what an underlying level of fitness they have , especially if they are in fields all day and constantly on the go. even my old lad who is quite creaky has a good old hooley 2-3 times a day that i see - so probably more that i dont!! oscar never ceases to amaze me that he can do a 2 hr hack up steep hills carrying me, with generally a good burn up a hill or 2 and a lot of trot (sometimes up to race speed !!!) after several weeks lay off. and still have plenty of vim left to hooley round the paddock after!!! they are designed to travel miles a day in the wild so i think maybe we are a little over solicitous! however better to be cautious than risk damage/ injury!!
i must confess to a bit of a giggle at the suggested "get your horse fit " plan - ie 1/2 hr walk 3 times a week for a week and build up over a period....seriously - it takes 1/2 hour for oscar to go from fast walk to medium:D , THEN we start the ride!!!
Back to top Go down
bonjour

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:15 am

I think you're right. Buster may be a bit chubbier than is ideal but those muscles are still in good shape underneath the fat pig In the wet weather, especially fog, we've been having in big heaps lately, Buster turns the entire fence-line into a ploughed strip about a metre wide. God knows how many times he walks up and down the fence in 24 hours. Rolling Eyes

Bill.
Back to top Go down
maycloud

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:23 am

Great stuff Bonjour, and well done Roo Very Happy

It is amazing how fit they can be, I haven't had to worry about Brett being unfit for the last year or two as Master Moss likes to keep Brett well exersied Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.brittanybedandbreakfast.net
FollyFoot

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:52 am

We also have the 'grass free' zone down the fence lines between the fields; our lads (geldings!) both love the girls, and they often show off.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bonjour

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:41 pm

Caught up on my poo-picking this morning. There was a bit of a backlog due to some seriously wet weather this week. There's quite a lot of standing water in places in the fields and the ground has been cutting up like it was February.

However, today it's not been too horrid, a bit breezy but a fair bit of sun, giving way to misty conditions this evening, so I managed to get some long-reining and ridden work in with Rhubarb this morning. She had one slight "opinionated" moment on the long reins but not too bad. Under saddle she's starting to gain her confidence, which is good but......Suspect she's starting to think she knows best and wasn't as good at listening and learning as she has been so far. We had some unscheduled fast trotting when I was asking for walk and a fair bit of resistence at times to going in the direction that I wanted to go. She did pack in the naughtiness eventually and it all ended on a happy note.

This afternoon I got Buster out for a hack in company with Sue, a friend of Mel's who rode Blue. Sue weighs about 8 stone wet through, so it was no hardship for Bluey's old joints. Sue hadn't ridden for about three years, so steady old Bluey is just the girl to ease her gently back into riding.

We didn't go far and I guess we were only out for about 40 minutes but Sue thoroughly enjoyed our nice little plod. Bluey too, was bright as a button and you could tell she enjoyed having some work to do. She must get terribly bored being stuck in the field every day. I'm hoping that Sue will be able to take her out more often because gentle exercise is good for Blue's bone spavin and Sue's weight isn't going to put undue pressure on her.
Back to top Go down
georgie

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:48 pm

Must have been nice for you to have some company too! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
maycloud

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:43 pm

Roo opinated! be a good girl Roo and don't go giving your bro any ideas Laughing Laughing
Sounds like she is doing well though

Great that Blue got out too, thats why we take Teepy out not just bcause Brett needs company but it does help his joints and it must be as you say very boring just sat in a field, I take Buster behaved ok?
Back to top Go down
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:55 pm

It must have been lovely for you to see blue out, I hope sue can come and ride again, it's so nice for us, and the ponies, to go out together.
pen

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:06 pm

Roo got out last night. I got a phone call this morning to say she'd gone visiting the little laminitic pony in the stables in the next field but one to ours. They don't have much in common but Roo loves having little Cara for company. she was very contented when we put her to graze down Cara's field earlier this year.

When I arrived I found Roo stnding by Cara's stable door, happily munching titbits provided by Carol, Cara's "carer". Carol had, rather optimistically, looped a leadrope over Roo's enormous neck Laughing Carol is about 5 foot 3, so I don't think she'd have detained Roo long if it wasn't for the pocketfull of pony nuts.

I was a bit worried because Roo can be a bugger to lead when she's excited and I'd have to lead her close past Kris, the loony ex-racing gelding. Cue Carol and pocketfull of treats to lead kris away along the fence and keep him busy munching while I led Roo by in stealth mode Suspect

She was as good as gold and it wasn't long before she was safely esconced in her own paddock, complete with newly charged battery on the fencer.

No riding today, I've been too busy earning a crust. I'm hoping to get finished early enough tomorrow afternoon to get out for another hack with Sue on Bluey and Buster.

I'll try and remember to take a camera with me. I must rig up something to fit the camera to my riding hat. Any ideas? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bill
Back to top Go down
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:21 pm

That's quite sweet really that roo "went a calling" although I'm sure you could have done without it Rolling Eyes

Hope you manage to get out tomorrow, you'll have to invest in a helmet cam, or maybe put one on your santa (can't say the "c" word) list Wink
Pen

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:16 pm

Heh bill, How are you doing? how's the back? I'm sure I read that you were coming to france to get some harness, Smile Did you? were you successful? sorry if you've posted somewhere else and I've missed it Rolling Eyes
pen

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:49 pm

Hi Pen,

Sorry I've been a bit lax at keeping the blog up to date Embarassed

The back's feeling a lot better since the doc prescribed me some heavy-duty painkillers. I've not ridden yet, nor worked Roo, just in case. I might try a spot of long-reining with Roo soon.

I had a day out in France last Tuesday, visiting friends and to pick up a harness i bought via Leboncoin. Unfortunately, our friend's neighbour, who was going to take us for a ride in his cariole, was busy with making his hay but he did have time for a chat and showed me how to fit the haness on his Breton mare.

The harness has had a hard life and needs a fair bit of repair, mostly re-stitching, for which I've ordered some waxed linen thread and harness needles off Ebay. Despite being a Cob Normand harness, it is a teeny bit small in the girth for Roo. I've punched some extra holes but it's still going to be a bit of a squeeze to get the saddle part done up. hopefully some exercise and a bit of a diet will sort her out because she's just been stood around getting fat on green grass while my back's been out of service.

We tried the driving bridle on her the other day to see how she'd cope with it. she was completely unfazed by wearing blinkers and was more interested in trying to eat the curb chain that was left undone. Next trick will be to long-rein her in the driving bridle then, if she's OK with that, to long-rein her in it while my assistant (her indoors) makes lots of noise behind/beside her with tin trays, rattly things, etc,etc, to simulate cart and traffic noises.

When that stage is done we'll get her long-reining in full harness until she's completely comfortable with it before we ask her to pull the tractor tyre. No rush as we don't want to over-face her and cause problems or dangers.

While I was a Jobourg I met Roo's breeder and saw her dam and her half-sister. They are both very chunky like her but Roo is considerably taller. Sadly, Ereka, Roo's Mum, seemed rather lame and both of them, and the donkey I saw in the same field, looked like they hadn't had their hooves trimmed in quite a while.

The half-sister is in foal and the breeder asked me if I'd like to buy the foal when it arrives. Apart from the obvious difficulty of shipping a baby horse to Alderney, I'm not in the market for another youngster. He offered me it for 400 Euros, which is a good price, so if anyone's looking for a larger type Cob Normand foal, I'll gladly put you in touch with him.

Next week Roo's previous owner, the lady ho bought her via a rescue website, is coming over to Alderney on holiday with her 3 children. Sarah and Joey, her son, are in for a shock when they see how much Roo has grown in the last two years since she came to us affraid I'm really looking forward to showing her off I love you

Bill
Back to top Go down
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:37 pm

Good to hear that your back is improving 'slowly' very sensible not to push it, you could be back to square one with one tug from roo.
Glad you had a nice trip over here, shame that the harness hasn' t been taken care of Rolling Eyes I do have a leather girth extender I could send you,if you think it would work.
It must have been nice for you to meet some of roo's equine family and to be able to compare them, tinged with sadness though, that they are not as well cared for she Sad
On a lighter note, how fantastic for roo to be seen by her previous owner, can't wait to hear what they say when they see her. Smile
pen

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:35 pm

My waxed linen thread and harness needles arrived from Ebay today, so I spent a couple of hours restitching some of the bad bits on the harness. It's a slow old gamedoing saddle stitch with two needles and having to use pliers to pull the needles through because it's heavier gauge thread than the old stuff, but it's quite therapeutic and very satisfying to see tatty old straps coming back fom the dead. I'm sooooo glad I cleaned and oiled everything last week, otherwise it would be an impossible job.

Who says real men don't sew? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thanks for the offer of the extender Pen but if it's the usual riding girth type, it won't fit. The harness girth only has one buckle each end and in this case it's to fit 1 1/4 inch (32mm) straps. I think it will do up with a bit of a heave and she is carrying a good few spare pounds that she should shed when we get some work re-started.

Bill
Back to top Go down
maycloud

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:52 pm

Roo might disagree about the extra poundage Laughing

I shall look froward to seeing Roo in her harness when you have finished the repairs, she is going to look very impressive I think.

Glad that your back is getting better but your right not to rush it.

No to another baby for me too. why do they have to keeping breeding every year? and then not look after them properly, I take it this has a differant dad, not Powers again is it?
Back to top Go down
bonjour

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:02 am

I didn't catch who the dad is but it's quite likely to be Powers. I know he's used him at least twice with Roo's mum and also with another mare he has. He's also used a stallion called Gargillier in the past.

I'm sure you're right about Roo objecting to a little weight loss Laughing Poor girl, she'll say "I'm not fat, I'm big-boned!" , which to an extent is true. As you know, she has a Breton granny. Interestingly, I looked up Powers' ancestry and he too has some Breton in his lineage.

I also looked up his breeding career record and found Roo (Utopie de Jobourg) on there in 2008 out of EREKA. In 2009 Powers/Ereka had another filly called Vanille du Cap, but this time a chestnut, not a dark bay. Strange how a dark bay stallion and a nearly black mare can produce. a dark bay one year and a chestnut the next??????

Bill
Back to top Go down
maycloud

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:02 pm

How did you get his ancestry? all I could find was father, granddfather stuff nothing on the female side of things, so far thankfully Moss is not showing any Breton growth, indeed I have had serveral peopele think That Moss is a warm blood!!

Another of power boys (viking) is now stand at the CN stud.

Bretons are proud of their big bones, if you have 13 inchs of bone you need the weight or you would look odd lol!
Back to top Go down
bonjour

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:28 pm

Powers' HN file is at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's not up to date as it only shows registered births up to 2009.

If you look on his sire Bonzai's line, his grandsire Quiriquiriqui's dam is Polka 1983 with the letters BR meaning Breton.

What is Mossy's registered name? You might find, if you look at the stallion files on his dam's side, that he has some warmblood or other lighter breed blood in his ancestry.

BTW, I'm not knocking Bretons or "big-boned" horses in general. I'm a huge fan of all the heavy breeds but they are are nearly impossible, or fiercely expensive, to get stuff that fits them properly Mad

Bill.
Back to top Go down
maycloud

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:52 pm

Moss is Vaillant 162 so I have no idea why he is not on there, he is fully registred, mind you his mum doesn't show on Gay Baffardier page either, but everthing I have found has them as full CN
Found this on you tube

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

12 stallions at the Nat stud and Moss is related to four of them [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

the 6th one has the same Grandad Gay Baffardier (mums side)& Violon
the 7th one has the same grandad Kabylie (dads side)
the 11th one Viking is Moss's Half brother [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] same age, dad Powers
the 12th one has the same great grandad, Violon (mum & dads side!)

Didn't realise he was so well bred [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bonjour, Viking is Roo's half brother too and Violon is also her Great Granddad

I know what you mean about buying stuff for Bretons:lol!: it drives me nuts all the normal stuff is way too small and people just look blankly at you when you say it won't fit
Back to top Go down
bonjour

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:26 pm

Roo's previous owners arrived on holiday this afternoon. Sarah and her children, Joey, Verity and Eva. Once they'd got settled in we took them up to meet her.

Roo recognised them straight away and was vey pleased to see them. It was lovely to see Joey's delight at seeing "his" girl. He certainly seems to have an affinity with her and she responds well to him.

The plan for tomorrow morning is to get her out on the long reins then do some ridden work in the round pen with her. If she's well-behaved, and I've no reason to expect she won't be, then we'll let joey hop aboard for a bit of a ride in the round pen. Joey is a regular rider and was the first person to sit on Roo, bareback, when she was about 18 months old or so. It's probably down to him that she was so easy to back under saddle!

If all goes well, I intend to use Joey mercilessly this week to help me make some progress with Rhubarb. Maybe even get her out on her first hack in company with Bluey????? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

More blogging and PICTURES tomorrow.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Azaria

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:19 pm

How lovely for you all, humans and ponies alike Have a great time, and yes please update and photo's.
pen

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour's Blog   

Back to top Go down

Bonjour's Blog
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next